mac and cheese fiend...

Options
i LOVE macaroni and cheese, but know it is SUPER unhealthy! any healthier ideas/recipes?

Replies

• econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm a super fiend too! I used to literally eat it EVERY day when I was younger and even recently up to 3x per week. However, I just know now that I can't eat it that often and if I'm going to eat it, I'm going to enjoy it (like I did today!) and I eat the full fat version. This was the first time in over a month that I had it. I know that's not what you're looking for but I thought I'd put in my two cents worth! Hope you can find a good recipe :-)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I'm allegic to tomatoes, and I don't eat meat.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've made something with zuchinni - I cut it into pieces about 1/2 inch thick (you can even use a mandolin to make it like noodles), put in a pan with some margarine, oil spray, or butter, then add some low/non fat cream cheese, a little shredded cheese (I like extra old white cheddar) and maybe even some parmesan. It's a great alternative if you are watching carbs and the cheese is the only real calories in it so the count stays low! It's really good!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use Dreamfields pasta, which is a low carb pasta. Then I use Velveeta and some milk. Season with some salt and pepper and I'm a happy camper!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    cookinglight has a mac and cheese made with butternut squash - its soooo good!
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-light-macaroni-cheese-50400000115195/
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and cheese are great, but they are not mac and cheese. Come on, people!!

OP: If you truly love mac and cheese, just eat it in moderation and plan it into your day. It is totally worth it.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    why not just cut portion size and still eat the real deal???

a typical portion of pasta should be 75g
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    cookinglight has a mac and cheese made with butternut squash - its soooo good!
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-light-macaroni-cheese-50400000115195/

I do love butternut squash and have one sitting on my counter now :-) It does look delicious - thanks for sharing!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    why not just cut portion size and still eat the real deal???

a typical portion of pasta should be 75g

Exactly what I was going to say! I have mac n cheese planned on Wednesday. I'm eating that as my main dinner course with salad and fruit. It fits very well into my calories and macros- in fact I had to add an extra afternoon snack to make sure I was getting enough calories for the day!
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    CleanEating.com has a great one! I love mac and cheese too, and usually go to selected fitness magazine sites and search it.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I <3 lobster mac and cheese. It is worth working out for the extra 15 minutes!
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    oh my god..I used to LOVE mac n cheese!!!!! It was like a daily staple for me! But since eating clean, I never even think to have it. The craving just went away:smile: thankfully, or else I'd be like 800 lbs by now!:laugh:
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I make homemade mac and cheese from scratch and you can sub ingredients to make it lower calorie. Even if you don't it's still better for you, tastes better and more filling.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't know any healthier recipes but not gonna lie, had a cup of Kraft Original for dinner D:
    CURSE YOU CHEESY GOODNESS!
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I bake Mac&cheese in individual ramekins so the portion control is already done for me. Makes it easier for my hubs to take leftovers to work for lunch too!
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you like the boxed stuff have you tried annies organic mac and cheese? Less cals and you can have a bit more then the other brands.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    it depends on how its prepared, im sure there are recipes out there that are healthy. do a lil research on good ole Google lol
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Mac and Cheese Suprise

2 cups cauliflower florets
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    1 tBs each butter and flour
    1 tsp each chopped garlic and dry mustard
    1 cup fat free milk
    8 oz elbow macaroni, cooked
    1/3 cup each shredded low-fat sharp cheddar and swiss cheese

1 heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a saucepan of boiling salted water cook veggies 5 min or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid. In food processor puree vegetables adding 3 tBs liquid.

2 In saucepot over med heat, melt butter; wisk in flour, garlic and mustard. Let simmer 1 min. Add milk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 min., whisking.

3 Stir in veggie puree, macaroni, cheese, and cooking liquid if needed; spoon into greased casserole dish. Bake 20 min or until heated.

Prep time 15 min. Total time 40 min. Serves 6
    Per serving calories 125, Pro. 8g, Carb. 15 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 3 g, Chol, 13 mg, Sod. 108 mg, Total Fat 4 g, Sat 3 g, Trans. 0g