EATING NOT ENOUGH FOOD!

Options
Today I started using my treadmill and I did 30mins on 30mins off for a while (135minutes exactly, I burnt around 1000 calories)
But in between I feel like I have been forcing myself to eat.
I don't feel hungry at all but forced myself to eat tuna and cruskits, and more.
My total amount for the whole day that I ate was 691 calories.
I know it's very bad but I don't feel hungry which is annoying.
Please help?

Please do not call me anorexic because normally I eat A LOT.

What I had today:
Breakfast: weight watchers fruit salad tub
Snack: medium pink lady apple
lunch: weight watchers tuna and light cruskits
snack: dip and salad
dinner: salad, pumpkin, beetroot etc.

Replies

• VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I definitely know the feeling! I usually burn between 900-1400 calories a day, and most days I'll get to 900 calories and be like I couldn't possibly eat more!

Though you might not feel like you want to eat more, it's important that you reach 1200 so you don't go into starvation mode, especially when you've burned a lot of calories. My go to when I don't want to eat more is a serving of hempseed butter (almond butter or peanut butter would probably do the trick too)-- lots of calories and nutrients that won't make you feel too much fuller.

Good luck!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Try drinking ensure. I used to do that when I couldn't eat enough. Its not that filling and its 250 calories. Good luck.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Is this a typical day? You say you normally eat a lot, so what's different about today?

Can you have a glass of milk or fruit juice?
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to kill you... but hopefully it doesn't become a habit.

I like the idea of milk or juice. You might also sneak in a protein shake (which ensure sorta is). Liquid calories are often easier to sneak in than food. They don't make you full as much.

And of course there is the standard high-cal foods that are good for you: almonds, avocados, etc..
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Is this a typical day? You say you normally eat a lot, so what's different about today?

Can you have a glass of milk or fruit juice?

The only difference is that I exercised instead of sitting on my bum aha.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Today I started using my treadmill and I did 30mins on 30mins off for a while (135minutes exactly, I burnt around 1000 calories)
    But in between I feel like I have been forcing myself to eat.
    I don't feel hungry at all but forced myself to eat tuna and cruskits, and more.
    My total amount for the whole day that I ate was 691 calories.
    I know it's very bad but I don't feel hungry which is annoying.
    Please help?

Please do not call me anorexic because normally I eat A LOT.

Well, a lot of good healthy volume for your small frame. But not really a lot of calories, perhaps not even for your small frame.
    Maybe you'll be hungry tomorrow, in which case feed the workout!

This may have happened to you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

You may not be to that extreme, but if you start exercising and burning more then you even take in - your body will do some extreme things you don't want to happen.

What was your HR for that 135 min effort on avg? You could be lucking out and be so low HR that you are burning mostly fat, if you have much to lose.

But I don't see how you are replenishing your glucose stores with carbs that low. Multiple days like that and muscle will be torn down to use as fuel to burn the fat.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling...when I do a long run of cardio, (particularly on the treadmill where I'm using 90-100% incline and going pretty intense) I feel so sick that I don't even want to eat. I usually drink a 600ml bottle of water, rest for 30 minutes and have a piece of fruit. It seems to help. Don't force yourself to eat, just think of something that you feel like and eat that. Remember to stay hydrated :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If this is a one-off day, don't worry about it
    If you are eating such a small amount every day, I think you should stop exercising until you can get your eating sorted out, it's not healthy to exercise so much and eat so little.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Wow. I'm new to MFP (from New Zealand - hi!) and have only just begun reading the message boards........ That article was written for me! I eat less than 1000 cal a day & struggle to lose weight.
    I am going to do my damnedest to hit that 1200 mark from tomorrow (it's almost 10pm here in NZ) and see if things start moving.
    It's funny - I *know* I need to eat more, I *know* my body has been in starvation mode for over 20yrs........ so WHY is it so blimmin' difficult to change a half lifetime of bad habits?
    It's a mental problem. After dieting/yo-yo-ing for SO long all common-sense just goes out the window. I do everything that I would tell else NOT to do. Just ridiculous really.
    So, I shall endeavour to do better, and I'm going to continue to use MFP (the best diet 'tool' I've ever found) to help me get there :o)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    First piece of advice I'd give you is ditch the diet food.

If you want long term sustainable weight loss you need to learn how to eat and diet food isn't going to do that for you, Unless you intend to eat diet food forever. It'll also help with the massive calorie deficit that you're in. Get healthy fats, whole grains and lean protein back in your diet. You'll soon be hitting your calorie total and feeling much better for it.
  • bsalis76
    Options
    Looks like your eating a lot of low calorie diet-type food there.

Why not eat more calorie-dense food... if your working out like an athlete, then eat like one!

Or just eat less if your not hungry. Three healthy nutrient rich meals a day is fine. No snacks needed.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

Wow. I'm new to MFP (from New Zealand - hi!) and have only just begun reading the message boards........ That article was written for me! I eat less than 1000 cal a day & struggle to lose weight.
    I am going to do my damnedest to hit that 1200 mark from tomorrow (it's almost 10pm here in NZ) and see if things start moving.
    It's funny - I *know* I need to eat more, I *know* my body has been in starvation mode for over 20yrs........ so WHY is it so blimmin' difficult to change a half lifetime of bad habits?
    It's a mental problem. After dieting/yo-yo-ing for SO long all common-sense just goes out the window. I do everything that I would tell else NOT to do. Just ridiculous really.
    So, I shall endeavour to do better, and I'm going to continue to use MFP (the best diet 'tool' I've ever found) to help me get there :o)

Yay :)
  • lisaelainee
    Options
    First piece of advice I'd give you is ditch the diet food.

If you want long term sustainable weight loss you need to learn how to eat and diet food isn't going to do that for you, Unless you intend to eat diet food forever. It'll also help with the massive calorie deficit that you're in. Get healthy fats, whole grains and lean protein back in your diet. You'll soon be hitting your calorie total and feeling much better for it.

The food that I am eating right now (said above) is what I normally eat, it's not diet food for me but regular food.
    (I went through a tough time and ate take away all the time for ages that's why I need to get back on track)
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

a brilliant piece that explains why we should eat our calories every day
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Looks like your eating a lot of low calorie diet-type food there.

Why not eat more calorie-dense food... if your working out like an athlete, then eat like one!

Or just eat less if your not hungry. Three healthy nutrient rich meals a day is fine. No snacks needed.

Agreed - you won't achieve your calorie goals eating loads of diet food. Need to eat plenty of nutrient dense foods & throw in some calorie dense foods to, and you'll have no problems getting there :)
  • lisaelainee
    Options
    I don't understand this whole diet food thing, it is normal food to me. Is it a shame that I enjoy eating this?
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I know nothing, pretty much, but when I look at your day I wonder where the protein, calcium and iron are. Stick in some steak with your salad for tea, and some scrambled egg with your brekkie and it looks a lot better to me.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you're just not hungry. Get your calories from olive oil if you need to. :)

ETA: If you're worried about protein, drink a protein shake.
  • revren10
    revren10 Posts: 116
    Options
    organic peanut butter, eggs, steak are all things that can help you
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this whole diet food thing, it is normal food to me. Is it a shame that I enjoy eating this?

There is nothing wrong with the food you are eating, there just isn't enough of it!
    I'm pleased to see that you added in a steak, it makes the day look much healthier.
    Honestly, as I said before, until you are eating enough, I suggest you don't do more than 30 mins or so of exercise, your body needs nutrition if you want to exercise - and if you want to be healthy.
    You're only young, please learn from the people like me who have spent so many years yo-yo dieting - don't do what we've done! Feed your body enough healthy food and get into good habits now, you will be really happy you did!
    (good advice from another Perth person :smile:)