Need some help with my sodium.

Options
Just looking for some suggestions,

My life is a bit fast paced at the momment and while I tend to do very well with breakfast and dinner I tend to have to eat prepacked foods for lunch which of course puts me over my sodium just about every day. What are you guys eating for lunch that might be a better lower sodium option for me. I am not afraid to step away from the convenience foods I just need some ideas. I know what I am eating now is better than the drive throughs that I used to hit but I am always looking for ways to eat a little better.

Thanks guys! :drinker:

Replies

• Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Just looking for some suggestions,

My life is a bit fast paced at the momment and while I tend to do very well with breakfast and dinner I tend to have to eat prepacked foods for lunch which of course puts me over my sodium just about every day. What are you guys eating for lunch that might be a better lower sodium option for me. I am not afraid to step away from the convenience foods I just need some ideas. I know what I am eating now is better than the drive throughs that I used to hit but I am always looking for ways to eat a little better.

Thanks guys! :drinker:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Some things I like for lunch are soups. Make a big pot and put it into individual containers. Salads with grilled chicken, peppers, onions, green beans, zucchini. Change the kinds so you don't get bored. Grilled vegetables have so much flavor. I also like to make the filling for fajitas but put it onto a salad instead of a wrap. I also make a batch of quinoa and put into individual containers. Saute some vegetables and add in. I love to saute some carrots and sugar snap peas in sesame oil with alittle chili paste. It's really yummy. I make this up ahead so I have it ready to just warm up in the microwave when I need it.
    It takes some work but if you get in the habit of doing it then it's not so bad.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you eat red meat-
    when I get the sirloins at costco there are always more than I need and I dont freeze em so I will grill 2 steaks and save the second one then 2-3 days later cut into strips take to work and you can make that steak last for a snack and a lunch
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but anything pre-packaged probably does have a lot of sodium. Your best bet would probably be to make your lunch. Maybe you could make it the night before. I love cucumber slices, a sandwich (usually tuna) and maybe some fruit or carrots.

Maybe you could stash a bit of leftover dinner for lunch too!:ohwell:
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    All great idea guys! thanks

I'll just have to make a night time habit of prepareing some lunch of the next day. I will try to make sure we make a bit more at dinner so I can incorperate it into lunch. Last week I made a shrimp scampi for dinner and had some shrimp left over so I tossed it into a salad with spinach and snow peas. Totally awesome. I definately need to make a habit of this.

lol

Thanks guys
    :drinker:
  • nerveracker
    Options
    Heya Spry,
    allow me to pass along some info I was given about sodium. Don't stress over sodium too terribly much as long as you're drinking LOTS of water, (8 cups/64oz is a minimum anyone should drink) Try to drink a few liters of water every day. Also as long as you have a good exercise/fitness program you're doing, the sodium isn't going to matter as much. Think proteins, and the right carbs at the right times more than sodium providing you're doing an exercise/fitness program. Think about it, sweat carries salt(aka sodium) out of the body, you'll be getting rid of any excess, I personally don't track sodium because of my workout/fitness program. I track Calories, Fat, Carbs, and Proteins as my main items. I hope this helps you. I was worried about it too at one point, now not as much

"The" Nerveracker - Dave

Your goals are your own. Attitude, sacrifice, determination, motivation, and just plain old elbow grease makes it all happen! - me

The Reason Most People Fail Instead of Succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT!!! - unknown

Motivation- It is not strength but desire that moves us, Dream, Dare, Do!