increasing protein

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I want to increase protein to look leaner.. I know eggs and meat/fish are classed as protein.. what other foods are in this category or what is a good protein shake I can get (from UK) or name of one I can look for on eBay please? (preferably with low fat/sugar/carbs in them) also has to be wheat free.

Also how many eggs is ok a week? usually I only have 2 at weekend as I thought they were a treat food cos of cholesterol? (yes I love the yolks, best part!) rather have less whole eggs than load of just egg whites.. safe to go to 4 or 6?

My meat/ fish is usually tinned tuna/mackerel maybe once a week, coley fillet baked in oven once a week, meat is chicken or turkey breast steaks. (with lots of salad/veg everyday) and have couple of treat meals.. red meat once a week usually as its high in fat...

anything high in protein and low in fat/carbs?

Thanks

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get protein up too, usually rely on protein shakes.

I currently order from myprotein.co.uk, impact whey protein had a few orders to Yorkshire and never had an issue.

People claim it can taste nice, yet to find one thats above tolerable though.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'd like some advice on the protein shakes as well.

However the egg/cholesterol thing is a long disproved myth.
    http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20259746,00.html
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/high-cholesterol.aspx

If you're not allergic to nuts, Almonds are a good source of protein.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    do they come in flavours like strawberry? (like the slim fast shakes kind of thing) what do they taste like?

unfortunately yes I do have severe nut allergies so they are definitely out!
  • Chairless
    Options
    They come in all sorts, the plain is ok and you can throw in nesquik or whatever to make it palitable.

Had strawberry and cream, way too sweet and sickly for me and awaiting delivery of the mocha so can report on that later.

There are some wizards with the stuff here though, have seen it used as an ingredient for all sorts of stuff.

For me its the quickest, easiest low cal way of ensuring i get a big dose of protein.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I get ProPeas, which is a field pea protien from The AIM Companies (www.myaimstore.com/healthylivingwithnutrition). It is very bioavailable and takes 4 hours to digest, which keeps you fuller longer. Especially when you add it with Fit n' Fiber as the Lean Team. Good stuff and great tasting! The ProPeas tastes of vanilla and Fit n' Fiber has a peach flavor to it, so together with pumpkin, fruit, cocoa and stevia....whatever, it tastes AWESOME!
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I got my protein shake after quite some research, reading lots of opinions. Mine is Optimum Whey Protein shake - double rich chocolate. In the UK, u can get it easily and at a very good price from amazon. It tastes great if you make it with milk and some ice in the blender - quite the treat. If you want more, you can add fruit to it, and/or some cocoa powder, cinnamon, etc. You can choose from lots of flavors as well.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    TOFU! it's low in cals and satiates very well! You can prepare it in so many different ways, u won't get bored! Very Good plantbased protein source. and healthy!

Low Fat Dairy such as Quark, Buttermilk, plain greek style yoghurt.... chock-full w/ protein!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    TOFU! it's low in cals and satiates very well! You can prepare it in so many different ways, u won't get bored! Very Good plantbased protein source. and healthy!

Low Fat Dairy such as Quark, Buttermilk, plain greek style yoghurt.... chock-full w/ protein!

Almond milk and other non-dairy sources are great too! I found Silk Eggnog with about 50 calories a serving and it tasted great with TONS of protien! Just look around, you will find what works for you!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Kale is loaded with protein.
    So is quinoa, which is a super grain.
    You can even use quinoa pasta in place of what you normally use.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'd like some advice on the protein shakes as well.

However the egg/cholesterol thing is a long disproved myth.
    http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20259746,00.html
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/high-cholesterol.aspx

If you're not allergic to nuts, Almonds are a good source of protein.

Eggs might not be loaded with cholesterol, but it has been proven cutting eggs and other animal products out
    drastically lower cholesterol.
    You can google the new study Harvard did, discrediting the governments new nutrition pyramid.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do like scrambled eggs (2) on toast at weekend, I have gluten free bread which is expensive like £2.50 for the loaf! so it lasts longer if I don't eat as much.. higher calorie than regular bread too. Would upping it to 4 eggs some weeks make my cholesterol go through the roof? .. maybe have an omelette as well.

Usually if I have omelette mid week to use up a few mushrooms/peppers I don't have the scrambled eggs at the weekend.. (do a BLT or something instead - healthy version of course!)

I don't think I've tried tofu.. I've had Quorn mince in place of mince to make a lower fat chilli. Is Quorn as high in protein as Tofu? .. and as the mince that I was replacing it with? (lamb mince usually)

Quinoa was on my list of things to try but keep forgetting to add it to my shopping list as I don't have much carbs with dinner anyway mainly fish or meat with veg or salad, as I'm getting nearer to my goal I need to bring some carbs back in I think but will be staying wheat free.

Can you guys who mentioned protein shakes say how many calories are in them?... I'll have a look on ebay and Amazon and see what I can find.

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon is high protein/low fat as is cottage cheese. I usually have both on Ryvita for breakfast, but you could put some cottage cheese on a slice of smoked salmon and roll it up!

Scrambled egg with smoked salmon is lovely too :tongue:
  • Chairless
    Options

Can you guys who mentioned protein shakes say how many calories are in them?... I'll have a look on ebay and Amazon and see what I can find.

i take mine in quite large doses, My Protein - Impact Whey Isolate Strawberry Cream Flavoured, 90 g 333 calories, 81g protein.

One scoop is probably around 110 cals and 25g protein.
  • shakybabe
    Options

i take mine in quite large doses, My Protein - Impact Whey Isolate Strawberry Cream Flavoured, 90 g 333 calories, 81g protein.

One scoop is probably around 110 cals and 25g protein.

ok.. you said that one was quite sweet?... would plain work with strawberry Nesquick in or would that add just as much sugar to it?.. at least one choc flavour be good for me then I can satisfy my monthly cravings and up my protein at the same time.. lol! :laugh:
  • Chairless
    Options
    to my taste its too sweet, but others swear by it.

best approach is to get a few samplers, theyre fairly cheap and just give you enough to try it out.

then if they are for you, you know which ones are to your taste!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    that's a good idea.. where do i get the samplers from?
  • Chairless
    Options
    that's a good idea.. where do i get the samplers from?

most suppliers will have samplers for their range, here is mine

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact-whey-protein-sample

Its probably not the best availiable, i link it as its just the one i use :)
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Drink milk. Milk has a lot of protein and its just good for you !!
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Soya. Tofu, soya desserts, soya yoghurts, soya milk :happy:
  • shakybabe
    Options
    great ideas thanks.... I thought it was calcium milk had loads of didn't realise about the protein too. I do have milk with cereal and like an hot choc at night in winter.