How do you learn to Jog?

Options
I know that may sound stupid but it is about 25 years since i did running and i want to go back to it but i dont know the best way to do this. Do i walk to a lamplost and then run to the next, rince and repeat or is there another way to start doing this again. I would appreciate as much advice as possible. I am still quite overweight and i also have painful knees but am wiling to get through the pain in order to help myself. I have a treadmill too at home and one of those ellipitical Trainers. Please help :)

Replies

• whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    hi there, thats a classic way of starting to jog/run. at the end of the day do what you feel comfortable with, don't set off too fast and enjoy yourself, there are lots of apps out there for couch 2 5km (c25k) which is a 9 week programme for beginners but don't feel the need to use it (there is also a group on here too), a lot of the fitness magazines will also have beginer running programs in them too at this time of year. good luck
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hey! Yup as above check out C25K that's what I used to start running, I didn't even walk much before that you mind run, and not 5 months later I'm training for my first half marathon! :) there is plenty of support on here to help you throung. Best of luck and enjoy :)
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    maybe you walk/jog in intervals, say 2 minute walk and 1 minute jog and just build up to it. Also try walking on sand, that's really good for burning calories.

Good Luck!!
  • kimm411
    Options
    I agree with all of the above posters. I just recently took up jogging. Every time I go it is a little further,. Just remember to stretch. :) I don't know if you have anyone to run with, but my neighbor and I run together and we push each other a little. I find that it helps. Good Luck!
  • CJKopp
    CJKopp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is a wonderful machine.. I started at a very low speed for a set time (60 mins) for a week. The next week I ramped it up a little, but for the first 10 mins I also start about 5 - 7 miles below the speed I want to end with. For the first 10 minutes, I asked myself why am I doing this, but after that (on a good day) it all works out. Good Luck ! Add me as a friend if you want..
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    maybe you walk/jog in intervals, say 2 minute walk and 1 minute jog and just build up to it. Also try walking on sand, that's really good for burning calories.

Good Luck!!

this is what I did. when I started I was 400+ lbs. I walked 2 mins, jogged 15 seconds, walked 2 mins. I also highly recommend to invest in a pair of running shoes. Get fitted at a running store. Everyone has different feet type and gaits, what one brand of shoes work for 1 person maybe not for another. Don't go for cheap, your feet and joints will thank you. Besides my stubborness of wanting to prove everyone wrong that I was too heavy to run, I give credit to taking the time to research and get the right type of shoe for me.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I started running in place in my living room lol. Once I felt like I could go a long time, I went out and actually started covering distance. Like everyone else said, just start slow, and go from there, increasing your distance or time a bit more each time, good luck!
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    I worked with a personal trainer on this one.

She started me out with walking 30 minutes 5 times a week. Walking, but walking quickly (4.0 on a treadmill).

Do this for 2 weeks - walk 30 minutes 5 times per week.

The following 2 weeks - jog 1 minute, walk 3 minutes, jog 1 minute, walk 3 minutes, etc for 30 minutes 5 times per week.

The next 2 weeks - jog 1 minute 30 seconds, walk 2 minutes, jog 1 minute 30 seconds, walk 2 minutes, etc for 30 minutes, 5 times per week

For the next 2 weeks - jog 2 minutes, walk 1 minute 30 seconds, jog 2 minutes, walk 1 minute 30 seconds, etc for 30 minutes, 5 times per week

Getting the picture? Slowly ease off the walking and add more jogging. This gets you into it without killing yourself right off the bat. It makes it totally do-able.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Hi, I am on week 2 of the Couch to 5K programme which others have mentioned. It's fab and if you look on here, it's quite easy to find others that are at a similar stage to you. People seem to know of it too, so if you mention that you are doing it, someone will say oh yeah I/my sister/auntie/brother etc did that, so it feels like something recognisable that you are doing. Friend me if you like, I am only on the first day of the second week and I am definitely not a runner, never have been but I want something cheap/convenient and gets me out of my head (in a good way lol)!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I used the c25k program which I downloaded to my Iphone. It works over your favorite music. You can do week one 10 times and no one cares!!
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I usually jog in place now, but i used to jog until I couldn't any more then walk a while to cool down, then jog again.

ALWAYS stretch properly after. that is the main thing!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I know that may sound stupid but it is about 25 years since i did running and i want to go back to it but i dont know the best way to do this. Do i walk to a lamplost and then run to the next, rince and repeat or is there another way to start doing this again. I would appreciate as much advice as possible. I am still quite overweight and i also have painful knees but am wiling to get through the pain in order to help myself. I have a treadmill too at home and one of those ellipitical Trainers. Please help :)
    Sounds like you already know.
    You JUST DO IT!

Make sure you've had a complete physical.
  • danismell82
    Options
    I was always convinced that I could never run/jog. I'd tried it once or twice and ended up feeling very sick and very depressed at my lack of fitness. Then my sister began running and she persuaded me to go along with her. I ran 5k my first try and have never looked back.
    The secret to success for me was not 'running' merely jogging very slowly but in such a way that my body was leaving the ground and therefore burning more calories than when walking. Initially I managed about 1.5k before I had to stop for a breather and a sip, just a sip mind, of water. The hard part is getting started again after this first stop, but if you can manage it then your body will begin to warm up rapidly after this and the exercise will actually get easier.
    Remember to take very deep breaths at intervals throughout your workout, this will result in an influx of oxygen to your muscles allowing them to work better. Also, try smiling as you exercise and putting your hands in the air and bouncing your way up slopes of any kind...this last one really seems to work, mind over matter.

The most important thing is to make sure that you stretch properly both before and after your jog and NOT TO PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD TOO SOON, otherwise you'll end up hating jogging and won't try it again.

Good luck and I hope you get back into it soon.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Hi Krissa, if you've got bad knees and are carrying a fair bit of weight, I would strongly recommend that you keep your weight-bearing exercise to walking until you get some weight off, and get in the pool for your cardio. Otherwise you are a set of knee replacements waiting to happen. Check out your local pool for aquacise classes or water jogging ... Or just do water jogging yourself if you are motivated. In water up to your waist, you are only supporting half your body weight - up to your neck and you are only carrying ten percent. So it is a great equalizer! Water also offers 360 degrees resistance to work your muscles, not the one-directional resistance of gravity that is so hard on your joints. I teach aqua, so could go on for hours about the benefits - maybe it is better if you ask me questions if you are interested. Good luck with it all!!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Don't do what I did on Saturday...

Went for a 2 mile 'jog' for the first time ever and my quads (thighs) are still burning today. Also finding it quite difficult to walk! Doh!!

I guess starting with baby steps is the way to go!
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    I forgot to say on my first post that I first tried to jog about October/November time and realised that I had no strength in my legs and that I would probably injure myself or give up. So I started doing reguar "brisk walks" for 30-40 minutes. I then had to take a break over xmas as both my boys were ill, one after the other, but started back again last week proper. I think the rest actually did me good in a way and felt that I was at a good starting point.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program - you may also want to read John Bingham's books 'no need for speed' and 'running for mortals'
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I was in the same position last year. My recommendation is to take it slow & pay attention to your pain. I tried pushing through it in March& April last year then spent the rest of the year in PT due to IT Band issues. I'm now 83 pounds lighter & look forward to my run/jog workout days. You can do it after not running in 25 years!
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much, i have looked at the C25K page and it looks like the way to go for me, especially as i have a treadmill and it covers that so i will have a good old stretch later and make a start, woot here i go, so excited :)
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OK so i tried to do the first workout for the treadmill. I got to 12 minutes and by then my legs below my knees were on fire, i was totally out of breath and starting to feel a little sickly so i slowed it down and stopped. Clearly i am not fit enough to jump straight into a routine. So am going to try again on Wednesday and see how it goes. I wont move to the next step till i am comfortably doing the first level with ease.