What to eat after a Juice Fast/Cleanse?

Options
I am participating in a 10-day fast with my church. We were able to choose our own fast, so I decided to go the healthy cleansing route and just fast all juice/veggies for 10 days. I'm on day 6 today and it's been a unique and great experience all at the same time. I have really worked to make as much of a juice/veggie mix large enough to make my calorie goal everyday while incorporating a very low impact exercise routine (which is really difficult because I'm a workout fanatic!).

I am just assuming some or possibly all of the weight that I lost will return but need some suggestions on how to trickle in food this coming Saturday when I end my fast. I want to incorporate clean eating, so it's not a shock to the system. I also love working out hard, so I assume increasing my protein and incorporating some whole grains are important.

Please give me some healthy ideas and tips!

Replies

• rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    from the reading i've done if it was all juice do smoothies for a day and gradually introduce solid foods starting with softer foods and move on to harder for a day. After juicing you will notice a difference a difference between healthy and unhealthy foods in your stomach when first coming off a fast. At least in my case unhealthy food feels so heavy and just sits there. I don't think there are really any rules but you will feel much better making healthy choices right away. I broke a juice fast with Hardee's once. That sounds horrible i know but it was a very stressful busy day and past lunchtime for me and my kids. my stomach wasnt to happy with me but was fine the next day. Would i recommend this? no! Did i beat myself up about it? NO life happens :D Good luck.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    So long as you don't binge on simple carbs, you should be able to keep most, if not all the weight off. I do a 10 day cleansing fast every January. On day 11 I add back in eggs, then on day 12 chicken and fish, day 13 whole grains and dairy. By day 14 you can go back to your healthy diet without any digestive upset.

I agree with Rachel, you will definitely notice a difference in the way your tummy feels if you put unhealthy foods in after a cleanse.