Master Cleanse/Lemonade Diet

Options
1235»

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    "Cleanse" and "toxins" are some of the most bro-science words I've ever heard. Just go on a water fast if you really want to eat nothing.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    What is everyone hoping to "cleanse"?

The body does an excellent job of "cleansing" itself. Just treat it right and it will treat you right. There is no "cleanse" as effective as simply eating well.

"The best way to 'detox' the body is simply to let your body do its job. Unless you have a medical problem, your body takes care of itself quite nicely, experts say.

"The liver and kidneys are nature's best-kept secret, because they are the weapons to eliminate toxins from your body," says Gerbstadt. "If you are concerned about certain substances in your diet, it is easier and safer to simply eliminate [those substances] rather than engage in unhealthy detox plans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64306
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    What is everyone hoping to "cleanse"?

The body does an excellent job of "cleansing" itself. Just treat it right and it will treat you right. There is no "cleanse" as effective as simply eating well.

"The best way to 'detox' the body is simply to let your body do its job. Unless you have a medical problem, your body takes care of itself quite nicely, experts say.

"The liver and kidneys are nature's best-kept secret, because they are the weapons to eliminate toxins from your body," says Gerbstadt. "If you are concerned about certain substances in your diet, it is easier and safer to simply eliminate [those substances] rather than engage in unhealthy detox plans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64306
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology

Eggzactly.
  • before20
    Options
    This past summer, I was sluggish, way overweight, and my already large jeans were getting tight. :sick: I heard about the master cleanse, and read everything I could about it, and decided that I would try it. It worked wonders, and I really believe that it helped to boost my confidence, my willpower, and my healthy eating habits.

Believe me when I say that I was on the master cleanse for 40 days, and I lost 30 lbs.

This is the honest truth, and I haven't gained it back. When I started it, it was meant to be a challenge to myself, because I used to be an over-eater. I promised myself that I would last all 40 days, and by the end of it, I didn't even feel a great need to stop. One pleasant surprise is that it definitely changes your palate; grapefruits were so sweet afterwards! I was inspired to give up processed food and animal products, and I've been strictly vegan for the 6 months since the cleanse. I have seriously lost all of my junk food cravings. Its simply amazing. I just started the cleanse again for New Years, and I feel energized, and rejuvenated, not because I think that its doing something magic to my colon, but because I feel so in control of my own body, and what I put in it. I am no longer a slave to food addiction. If you go into the cleanse with a goal in mind, its honestly a piece of cake lol. I had great energy, no hunger, and i really didn't find the salt water flush hard at all. I'm also getting fit as well. I saw losing the weight as the first step in my journey to achieve a fit body, and I know that its going to be a lot easier getting toned up without the extra lbs. On Feb 5th I start an intense 5 month martial arts training program, and I know that by the end of it I will have reached my fitness goals. The cleanse was more than just a fad for me. It was a means to an end, and a life lesson in realizing my own inner strength and willpower. I recommend it anyone who is willing to make a commitment both during and after the cleanse to use it as an inspiration, and a motivation to live healthfully. Good Luck.

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me. :smile:
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You silly people and your irrational search for a 'quick fix'.

Scam artists love you guys.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I tried it maybe 6 years ago, and lasted 3 days. The cayenne-maple lemonade was terrible to choke down and I was ravenously hungry. Never again. This past fall I had done the Wild Rose Cleanse, which allowed food, for about 8 days. It wreaked havoc on my digestion for a good 3 months afterwards.

I would also echo what others have said, your body cleanses itself on it's own. And I would NOT under ANY circumstance condone consuming only the MC lemonade for 40 days straight, that sounds terribly dangerous and horrifies me a little bit to be honest.
  • simoriah_angel
    Options
    Don't bull**** yourself. Unless you plan on eating like this for a LOONG time, yuo will gain at least some weight back, I did it and lost 21 pounds. I probably could have kept the weight off, longer, but if you are having a big weight issue then starving yourself for a week on water flavored with maple syrup and lemonade is not easy. The only reason I even lasted that long was because I was doing it in conjunction with a spiritual retreat.

The salt water cleanse is NOT fun!! It sucks big time and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I don't know if anyone else said this plainly so I am going to. When you ingest that salt water, it causes your body to empty your bowels for an hour. There is no way to get up or do anything else; your body CAN'T do anything else, at least for the first few days. THIS is where your weight loss comes from. Please keep that in mind as you starve yourself.

If you want to do this as a "start" to your diet, I can certainly understand but as the be-all and end-all? Uhhh no.
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too tried it for 3 days and stopped. The salt water flush is horrendous. To this day, 2 years post Master Cleanse, I can feel that awful salt taste in my mouth and words simply cannot describe how bad that taste is. I went back to just eating healthily and counting calories after that and lost weight that way though I got back into bad habits last year so here I am. Losing is the easy part, it's the maintaining the loss which is hard.
  • whimsy456
    whimsy456 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone had willpower tgat strong. Anyway, worth to check out this lady. Go on YouTube abd type "abstigator". A daily vlog on mastercleanse lemonade journey
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I did it. I actually gained 2 pounds on it. LOL