My Polar HRM...

My Polar FT60 HRM is set to "lose weight" and it said to "Train a lot less in Zone 3" this week. So, basically no intense hard-breathing workouts? I just find that odd---I figured the harder you work & sweat the more fat you would burn:huh: ...So, am I understanding this correctly that I need to stick to low-intense workouts that keeps my breathing lower to maximize fat burn?

Guess I will be doing a lot of Leslie Sansone Walk At Home Dvds (BESIDES my ChaLean Extreme strength dvds---I am in the Push month).

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I've heard that to burn fat, you need to keep your heart rate down, but I just can't seem to follow that. To keep my HR down that low, I'd need to stroll along on the treadmill and I'd feel like I wasn't getting a workout at all.
  • funkeydunk
    funkeydunk Posts: 4 Member
    Hi ,
    I constantly use a Polar HRM and it too tells me I need to slow my HR down when exercising. It would seem that Polar still believe that the slow burn workouts (long Jogs over 30 mins, Bike rides, X Trainers) are the best way to loose Fat/Weight. however all the research I've done contradicts this and the results I get from working my HR to near the max (80-90% Max)for short intervals comes up trumps every time. I still use my HRM to measure all sorts of stuff so they are useful.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    I also feel like I am not getting a good workout unless I am breathing heavy and hard. It just doesn't feel like I am doing anything for me....

Thanks for the replies.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    My Polar FT60 HRM is set to "lose weight" and it said to "Train a lot less in Zone 3" this week. So, basically no intense hard-breathing workouts? I just find that odd---I figured the harder you work & sweat the more fat you would burn:huh: ...So, am I understanding this correctly that I need to stick to low-intense workouts that keeps my breathing lower to maximize fat burn?

Guess I will be doing a lot of Leslie Sansone Walk At Home Dvds (BESIDES my ChaLean Extreme strength dvds---I am in the Push month).

As much as I like the FT60, Polar unfortunately is too wedded to the "fat burning" theory that has been completely debunked. You need to have a balanced routine that includes workouts at all three intensity levels in order to improve fitness and maximize calorie burn. How much fat your burn during a workout has no real effect on weight loss.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member

As much as I like the FT60, Polar unfortunately is too wedded to the "fat burning" theory that has been completely debunked. You need to have a balanced routine that includes workouts at all three intensity levels in order to improve fitness and maximize calorie burn. How much fat your burn during a workout has no real effect on weight loss.

I would have to agree with you!