Body Pump

Options
So my husband and I are starting Body Pump class together tonight. Am I going to be able to walk tomorrow? haha.

Replies

• Indy_Mario
    Options
    It depends on what you and him decide to do *after* the class. I suggest stretching before hand :wink:
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You will be sore if you work hard :wink:

Go light on the weights for your first class to get the correct technique if you are unfamiliar with the movements.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you and him decide to do *after* the class. I suggest stretching before hand :wink:

You are too funny!
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you are new to Pump, go really light on the weights the first few classes and concentrate on form. There are a lot of reps and timing changes. It is not like lifting in the weight area because of this. It is a muscle endurance class and not really "Strength Training" as you are not able to lift real heavy. That ssaid, it is a great class and I love it. It has gotten me a lot stronger and has helped to retain my muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

And to answer question...Yes, you will be able to walk but maybe a little slower thatn normal and you might need help undressing. My shoulders got hit pretty hard and could barely remove my sports bra by myself! Have fun!!!
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It is a muscle endurance class and not really "Strength Training" as you are not able to lift real heavy.

Don't be scared to load up the bar once you have the form down. It is definitely not heavy lifting by conventional standards but starts to feel that way after 5 minutes of a squat track!
  • abaine
    abaine Posts: 2
    Options
    I love body pump too. Just wondering though, how did you guys enter it in for your daily exercise?? I'm not sure what would be the closest from the list that is given to choose from.
  • mrspierson
    mrspierson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was also hoping to figure out how to put BodyPump in as an exercise on the site. If you have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks!
  • Cappicorn
    Cappicorn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE body pump! It took me about 3-4 classes to finally figure out how much weights I need for which target area they were doing. I like how I can choose to go light one class as I know my exercise schedule for the rest of the week and don't want to be hobbling for that, or when I can push myself just a little more to feel it tomorrow.

In order to determine how many calories you burn a class, I believe you need a HRM. I just made my own exercise and input the calories that are estimated on some of the body pump websites I've visited which range from about 300-500 cal, but it depends on the class because they have many versions. I estimate low just so I'm not fooling myself into thinking I still have my deficit when I might not.