Tips for eating less sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Explore what other flavors you like. For instance I now eat spicier foods than I did in the past and find that I like the flavors a lot. I always enjoyed a lot of flavor and now get flavor in my food from peppers and other savory vegetables, herbs and roots. When you begin to "cleanse" your palate from overly sweet flavors you will find that you are open to other flavors that you hadn't enjoyed in the past by being tuned in to "sweet" a lot, & all the time. You may be surprised at how good other foods actually taste.
  • redhoney
    Options
    When the craving hits, drink a lot of water, keep your hands busy and the craving will past.
    Black bean brownies made with Stevia is a great chocolate snack! As long as you eat a healthy yogurt you can't go wrong.
    I figured if most my sugar comes from my morning coffee than I am not doing so bad. Started this year with determination to exercise and eat healthy. So far I have stayed on track and am down 4lbs in 10 days.

Watch out for those sugar free products, if you read carefully the sugar alcohol is just at bad as the sugar. Most the time you are better off buying regular product and have portion control. If you buy products with sugar substitutes you will find yourself craving more sugar. Try no sugar substitutes and see if the sweet cravings subside in time.

It all comes down to determination and how bad you want to get back in shape and lose weight. We control what we do. Mind over matter. That is what I keep telling myself anyway. I keep thinking about the 6 tubs of clothes I have I can't wait to wear again. :-)
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lsgordon02143
    lsgordon02143 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One more thing I thought of - for some people, including me, having artificial sweeteners isn't great for digestion. Nor does it always fix the craving. So put the desired fudge or soda or whatever into your log, and see if you are ok with its impact, and then eat it mindfully and savor and love it. :)

If you want to be able to eschew milk chocolate and crummy dark chocolate, eat some 70+ percent cocoa stuff; you won't be able to eat the other stuff for several hours; it will taste terrible.

I eat dark chocolate every day and I think it's good for you. I think too, that it's not a matter of being "addicted" to sugar. Humans naturally desire sweet foods, which is a nutritional benefit when you have access only to natural foods (fruit, honey, breastmilk as an infant...). Moderation is the key.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I have one strong sweet tooth.

My fitness pal has a goal of 30g of sugar a day. My problem, my Strawberry probiotic yogurt alone has 18grams!
    I also love my coffee in the morning, with creamer -- which has loads of sugar.

What do you do to cut back on sugar? My goal this week is to actualy not go over the 30 recommended grams of sugar they have for me, so help me out!

I've cut back on my sugar intake.....I used to have 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar in my cuppa but now I'm down to half to 1 teaspoon...

Just gradually cut back bit by bit......Your taste buds will get used to it......
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I also have an extreme sweet tooth. There were days where I would be utterly miserable because I would try so hard to fight the cravings only to just give in. I would try to eat sweets in moderation but I am an intense person and that never worked for me. One piece of chocolate would quickly turn into 10 pieces, etc. and it was a downward spiral.

But I saw somewhere online that I could be experiencing a vitamin deficiency - namely magnesium. I decided to get some magnesium vitamins and I take them everyday and I haven't experienced any sweet cravings. I am impressed but relieved I have found some kind of solution. Try it out!

That is fascinating. I didn't know that but I'm excited to learn about it!