Critique my salad

Options
Hiya,

I have salads for lunch most days and am looking for opinions on how healthy they are, and if there's anything else I could/should add to them. I'm always looking for ways to mix things up or improve upon what I've already got.

Here's what's in there now:

Romaine lettuce
Spinach
Cucumbers
Baby tomaters
Carrot sticks
Hard boiled egg
White albacore tuna OR grilled chicken breast
A sprinkle of Feta cheese
A sprinkle of Craisins (which I forgot to bring to worth with me today...DAMMIT!!!)

Topped off with some red wine vinaigrette dressing (when using tuna) or light Italian dressing (when using chicken).

Good stuff, lemme tell ya. I great mix of flavors, which I like, but if there's something I could change/add to make it better...lemme hear ya!

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making your own dressing? You could cut down on the cals and sodium. And if you're creative, you could have a really unique taste for your salad.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making your own dressing? You could cut down on the cals and sodium. And if you're creative, you could have a really unique taste for your salad.

I haven't considered that, but I am now. Thanks! :)
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Garbanzo beans! Make the salad way more filling dude.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Albacore has more mercury than regular tuna. Other than that, is it meeting your calorie needs without adding a ton of sodium? It sounds freakin' tasty to me.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Yeah, I like this! :smile:
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was just going to say beans. I always add chic peas especially to my salad!
  • happybrooke
    Options
    I am so jealous! I am stuck with the most boring salad today!! About how many cals / Protein is that salad? It sounds delicious! I love salads and this is inspiring!
  • imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    try adding broccoli and or cauliflower, green pepers, radish, the more veggies you put in the more filling it will be
  • lsgordon02143
    lsgordon02143 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You could toss with lemon juice and reduce the dressing I suppose, but it already sounds pretty darned healthy. :) I like adding red quinoa and often capers to almost every salad.

--LG
  • ginap38
    ginap38 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my salad minus the craisins. i add eddamame 1/4 cup adds more protein and sometimes red or white cabbage adds sweetness
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I used a mixed greens salad, add pecans, craisins, oranges and a honey crisp, pink lady or sweet tango apple and I use a rasberry walnut vinagrette dressing (it's fat free i think) It all has an amazing flavor and during the spring and summer i use strawberries. By far my favorite salad. occasionally if I'm real hungry will add grilled chicken or even a bit of pork tenderloin.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Can you afford (calorie-wise) to add some nuts? sliced almonds or a few walnuts... maybe blue sheese instead of feta?

I put a huge variety in my salads, so much that the lettuce is a minority. Olives, beets, red onions, green peppers, banana pepper rings, yummmmm
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds are good additions for some healthy fats.
  • tiyatela
    Options
    some quinoa

peperoncini peppers sliced

kale

make your own dressing - oil n vinegar then few tspn fruit juice of ? add fruit pectin then shake to thicken
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i like my dressing more vinegar versus oil so i made the vinegar equal the oil in my version....but here is the recipe as i printed it....i also like to add chopped broccoli and sometimes sunflower seeds or mini croutons....

Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, optional*
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup olive oil

Directions
    Beat the vinegar in a bowl with the optional sugar, garlic, salt and pepper until sugar and salt dissolves. Then beat in the oil by droplets, whisking constantly. (Or place all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake to combine.) Taste and adjust the seasonings. If not using dressing right away, cover and refrigerate, whisking or shaking again before use.

*If using a good quality balsamic vinegar you should not need the sugar, but if using a lesser quality you might want the sugar to round out the dressing.
  • Rubyinthesand2012
    Options
    Beetroot fantastic in salads full of antioxidents & nutrients vitamin C potassium etc.
    raw cauliflower is good too and has a nice crunch
    agree with radishes

also like Edamame beans too
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would grade that an A+ It sounds incredibly delicious and nutritious.
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    Sounds amazing. I think I found my salad! : )
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Dang, you stole my suggestion!
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Albacore has more mercury than regular tuna. Other than that, is it meeting your calorie needs without adding a ton of sodium? It sounds freakin' tasty to me.

I always struggled to choke down regular tuna. Someone turned me onto albacore since it wasn't as "tuna"-y. I don't mind the taste or the smell at all, so I stuck with it. Not sure how much mercury is in there or how much is too much, though. But I'll definitely look into it!