count fruits and veggies????

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Best PP explanation I've found:

http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/weight-watchers-points-plus/

That program is $$$$ this program is free. THIS program works for no $$$$. That is all.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    It's simple really. Count everything that goes into your mouth. End of story.
  • DianeTemplar
    Options
    My sister is dieting and she doesn't count raw veggies - but does count friut. I count everything. Even if you had you calorie limit low enough that you could still loose weight and not count them, you wouldn't know when you had enough protien or iron.

You are a grown woman and many people lose weight on different diets.

Good luck. BTW Dr. Phil today is about dieting (again).
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My dietician told me not to count veggies but yes to fruit... I made myself a rule if I eat a raw vegetable I don't count it but if I cook it then I will add it....
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    MFP is MFP and WW is WW. They work differently. On MFP, you need to track everything.
  • TonyaCrego
    TonyaCrego Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38 lbs since sept 11 doing weight watchers I dont count veg apart from potato and root veg like parsnips and sweet pots. I point fruit if I eat lots of it but usually just bananas. Even though it says you dont. I have lost weight every week and have really loved the plan x

I did awesome with it as well but i am now doing Body by vi and counting calories now. I was checking out my support group and everyone says to count calories and even found a calorie point sheet :) Congrats BTW
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    I am doing WW PointsPlus and just canceled my WW membership. I just bought a Food companion and the points calculator and am using MFP to log. I enter all my food in my diary, then under the notes I log my flex points for the week and my points for my meals. I am using the points (values) rather than calories so I am counting fruits/veggies free as WW does. I love their new PointsPlus program. They really improved it this time!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes, count everything.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So i did WW last year and loved it! I was doing the PP and you didnt have to count certain fruits and veggies so im wondering if anyone else does WW and do you enter your fruits and veggies on your MFP food tracker???
    I don't know about any program where you don't just log in and enter everything with a calorie value.

Why complicate matters?
  • nicbailey21
    Options
    I lost 75 poundson WW but with the old points system where you did track fruits as they are quite high in natural sugars. I don't understand the new WW Points Plus system where they say you can eat all the fruit you want and not count it. I also know a guy who lost over 10 pounds by just cutting down the amount of fruit that he ate - he did not change anything else in his diet or workout schedule. That being said - I would certainly be recording them...
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I count everything
  • lasinbb
    lasinbb Posts: 14
    Options
    Seems like WW is a GREAT first step to help people eat more fruits and veggies. Once people are eating well, however, I think we have to count them. I'm a vegetarian and if I didn't count them I could eat all day and night and gain lots of weight and not have any idea why. Those carbs add up.
  • Nmhahn14
    Options
    I am currently wondering the same thing! When WW switched to PP I dropped it because I wasn't losing anything anymore. I think it's important to be conscientious of how many fruits you are eating especially (like someone said fruit cals add up, bananas are like 200 cals!) however, the reason WW does it that way is because they feel the benefit of eating fruits and veggies outweighs the calorie intake. In sum, I count high cal fruits, but not veggies :)
  • TonyaCrego
    Options
    I am doing WW PointsPlus and just canceled my WW membership. I just bought a Food companion and the points calculator and am using MFP to log. I enter all my food in my diary, then under the notes I log my flex points for the week and my points for my meals. I am using the points (values) rather than calories so I am counting fruits/veggies free as WW does. I love their new PointsPlus program. They really improved it this time!

i was beginning to feel alone in my thinking on this subject! Thanks for your input! I also have the companions and calculator but wasnt doing good without the support at the meetings so i gained all the weight back! I am now doing Body by vi so im going to log everything and see how it goes! Good Luck :)
  • TonyaCrego
    Options
    I am currently wondering the same thing! When WW switched to PP I dropped it because I wasn't losing anything anymore. I think it's important to be conscientious of how many fruits you are eating especially (like someone said fruit cals add up, bananas are like 200 cals!) however, the reason WW does it that way is because they feel the benefit of eating fruits and veggies outweighs the calorie intake. In sum, I count high cal fruits, but not veggies :)

well apparently, to sum it up, you should count EVERYTHING!!! lol
  • Shanicolet1
    Options
    I think you'd run into trouble if you don't count them. You're counting calories not counting points. The points allowance is set to allow free fruits and veg, the calorie allowance isn't.

Yeah counting calories is different from WW in that you are responsible for whatever you eat. No freebies on MFP! If it has calories log it!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I think logging everything is a good idea, and I thought that even though those fruits and vegetables had no points, they did once you reached a certain amount? I only did the "I found the info online for free" version, but that's what I thought?
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I dont' count cucumbers or celery...it is too redicuously low. By the time you walk to your computer, sit down, and log it, then stand back up you have already burnt it off.
    Fruit...absolutely!
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I log and count zero calorie stuff; I logged a SAMPLE OF YOGURT the other day. If it goes in your mouth, log it.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I ate about 300 calories worth of fruits and vegetables today-- that's one-quarter of my calorie goal. And my fruit/veggie consumption was relatively light compared to other days.

So yes, absolutely count it!