Gym ideas for today?

psmd
psmd Posts: 764 Member
I am going to the gym for a "quick" workout, just will have about 45 minutes or so. I meet 1-2x a week with a trainer for circuit/resistance/weight stuff. So today I want to do cardio. I have a couple goals--one is to burn a lot of calories, but I am also training for an 8k (5 mi) race in March. Right now I am running 5k about 2x a week.

So my question is should I run 3miles at a slightly faster speed (currently going about 5.2mph), run a little longer than 3miles at slower speed (maybe 5mph), or just do elliptical for 45 minutes. Keep in mind both my goals are important, ideally I would do something that can accomplish both.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    I am going to the gym for a "quick" workout, just will have about 45 minutes or so. I meet 1-2x a week with a trainer for circuit/resistance/weight stuff. So today I want to do cardio. I have a couple goals--one is to burn a lot of calories, but I am also training for an 8k (5 mi) race in March. Right now I am running 5k about 2x a week.

So my question is should I run 3miles at a slightly faster speed (currently going about 5.2mph), run a little longer than 3miles at slower speed (maybe 5mph), or just do elliptical for 45 minutes. Keep in mind both my goals are important, ideally I would do something that can accomplish both.

Thanks for any input!

Oops! SOrry about that! I would try and run a little longer at your normal 5.2! Even if it is just 6K or so! Good luck! You're going to kick butt with that 8K!
  • Free_style
    Free_style Posts: 15 Member
    My answer is to run a little longer than 3miles at slower speed (maybe 5mph), You may like to put a few bursts, increasing your speed to 5.2, every 10 minutes for a minute or so. Give your heart a a little workout. I believe the quality of the workout is always the best and training your heart for short bursts can help with overall fitness. Let me know what you end up doing. Good luck.
  • aigo86
    aigo86 Posts: 79 Member
    Myself and a group of 3 friends are preparing for a 5K in June! There is an app for iPhones and Androids that is called Couch to 5K! It takes 8 weeks to complete and it starts you from easy to your 5K! You do it 3 times a week for about 30 mins! I have always hated running, but this app has gotten me going and I LOVE it!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    I'd say do intervals. Example:
    3 minutes 5mph
    1 minute 5.5
    3 minutes 5
    1 minute 5.6
    3 minutes 5.0
    1 minute 5.7
    3 minute 5.0
    1 minute 5.8

and so-on...
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    If you've got 45 minutes and you are only wanting to focus on the cardio then maybe a longer slow run would be good. Slower speed, but further distance. Like 4 miles a little slower than your usual 5.2mph

Or

Do you do any sort of speed work? Do walk / sprint intervals for a couple of miles. This helps strengthen your tempo pace. Then do the elliptical for the remainder of your time.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Myself and a group of 3 friends are preparing for a 5K in June! There is an app for iPhones and Androids that is called Couch to 5K! It takes 8 weeks to complete and it starts you from easy to your 5K! You do it 3 times a week for about 30 mins! I have always hated running, but this app has gotten me going and I LOVE it!
    THe poster is ALREADY doing 5Ks. I'd go for slower pace and longer distance. Or do heavy intervals for 1/2 hour.
  • aigo86
    aigo86 Posts: 79 Member
    THe poster is ALREADY doing 5Ks. I'd go for slower pace and longer distance. Or do heavy intervals for 1/2 hour.

I saw that after I posted it and then reread what they wrote... Then it wouldnt let me delete it! haha!
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    If you're used to running 3 miles or so, and want to amp your calorie burn, I agree with the above poster that upping your speed for short bursts is a GREAT way to increase endurance. You can also do pyramid intervals. Here's a couple of potential and more challenging workouts based on your general speed of 5.2 (feel free to play with my speed recommendations to make it more or less challenging):

Option 1 - short bursts

Warm up 3 min (slow jog or quick walk)

Min 1-4: 5.0
    Min 5: 5.5
    Min 6 -9: 5.0
    Min 10: 5:5
    Repeat 3x
    (note: Don't feel bad if after your quick pace minutes you need to walk for a minute or so. That will go away as you get used to the speed, and this is a great way to push yourself!)

Option 2 - pyramids

Warm up 3 min (slow jog or quick walk)

Start at 4.6. Every min, increase your speed by .2 until you are at 5.4. Keep 5.4 for 2 min then work your way back down .2 each minute until you're back at 4.6. Repeat. Bonus points if you start Round 2 at 4.6 or 4.8!

Again, just remember that you are doing something different, and try your best to push through! If you could do these "speed work" drills just once a week, your training will get to the next level!!

Good luck and have funnnnn!! :glasses:
  • psmd
    Ok so no elliptical for today! I do a little bit of a faster run for the last quarter mile of my runs usually, but I like the idea of doing 3 minutes slower, 1 minute faster, with increasing speeds for the intervals. I don't do enough interval running and that sounds good for today. I will try to do at least 3 miles, maybe a little more if I have time and feel up to it. Thanks for the input, will repost after and let you know what happened!
  • psmd
    Did the interval thing!
    3min 5mph
    1min 5.3mph
    3min 5mph
    1min 5.4mph
    etc. all the way to 6mph which I did for a couple of minutes and then finished 3.1 miles at 5mph and walked a little

Thanks! That was great and made the workout actually go a lot faster!