Exercise calories?

Options
Who here eats their exercise calories? I never did when I did other diet plans because I felt like I would lose faster/better if I didn't, so whats the verdict? Do you eat them or do you not and why? Thanks!

Replies

• adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I'm hungry. I try to listen to my body, but since my allowance is only 1200 cal that usually means I eat them back.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I do! I don't want to be scrawny.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i even wrote a song about it
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Eating exercise calories is pointless! After all the hard work of doing 10 different ab exercises and then 60 minutes on the lowest setting of the elliptical, there's no way I'm going to eat them back!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    i even wrote a song about it
    I like to imagine that it goes to the tune of "My Darling Clementine".
  • tashdownunder
    Options
    I don't eat them back. I just don't understand the point of eating them back - isn't the whole idea that we're trying to create a calorie deficit?But I do kind of keep of tab of them for the week and use them for a treat if I want to have the occasional indulgence like a glass of wine or a dinner out.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back. I just don't understand the point of eating them back - isn't the whole idea that we're trying to create a calorie deficit?

I know right?!??! It's just another excuse for people to eat more!
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    Eat back your calories for sure, leave a lil wiggle room + - 100 cals or so. you body will go into starvation mode if you don't and will start to store the fat, making it harder for you to lose any weight. Some people say to eat if you feel hungry but i don't agree because if you just had a meal and it was lets say it was 600 calories and you still feel hungry,most of the time all you need is to drink more water, if we all eat when we feel hungry we wont lose any weight because some people just cant help it and will eat all day and never feel full. just do what MFP says to do and you will see results, it's been working for me and i only been here 3 weeks. Good luck!!
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I usually eat mine back because I'm hungry. If I am not hungry then NO.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I eat them if I'm hungry. I try to listen to my body, but since my allowance is only 1200 cal that usually means I eat them back.
    ^^^^^^^^ I agree with that. If I'm hungry and want to I eat them, if not, I don't, but I usually eat about half of them. I've had good success with this.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back. I just don't understand the point of eating them back - isn't the whole idea that we're trying to create a calorie deficit?
    I know right?!??! It's just another excuse for people to eat more!
    Okay, enough silliness. Here are some answers to the question: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390145-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Rocket science. ::sigh::

The deficit is built in your calorie plan BEFORE exercise. If you want to keep a sustainable, healthy deficit... You eat them back. It's not that difficult to understand really.

I eat some of mine. If I dont, I'm starving. I use a HRM so I know what I burn is accurate. I'm doing p90x And could surely not function doing it without some proper fuel. To each their own though... I don't care if other people do or not but the science behind why we do isn't that hard to understand.

It's not an "excuse" for me to eat more. My body is being worked hard and I need fuel. I want to lose fat, not muscle.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Ditto.

But really, it's up to you to find what works for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mostly I drink them. I look at my workouts as a way to earn wine with dinner. But, yeah, I usually consume them.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back and that has worked for me. If I have a special occasion to attend then I may use them, but I normally plan my calorie intake for the day if that is going to happen. But you should find what works for you and go with it. Good luck!
  • MHunte
    Options
    Drink water, because you feel hungry don't mean you are hungry..... there is no way some one can eat a"6-800" calorie meal and still be hungry, it's all in your mind!! go drink water. manage your calories like you manage money.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Rocket science. ::sigh::

The deficit is built in your calorie plan BEFORE exercise. If you want to keep a sustainable, healthy deficit... You eat them back. It's not that difficult to understand really.

I eat some of mine. If I dont, I'm starving. I use a HRM so I know what I burn is accurate. I'm doing p90x And could surely not function doing it without some proper fuel. To each their own though... I don't care if other people do or not but the science behind why we do isn't that hard to understand.

It's not an "excuse" for me to eat more. My body is being worked hard and I need fuel. I want to lose fat, not muscle.

^^ This.

Assuming you listed “sedentary” or “lightly active” (I don’t remember the exact terms . . ) in your initial profile, your calorie total is calculated before exercise calorie burn is added into the equation. Thus your calorie deficit already exists (before any exercise is listed) if you filled out your profile honestly. The recommended daily total is based on your BMR (ie what your body burns just by being alive every day). Therefore, your recommended total is based on what you should eat in order to lose weight making the assumption that you are NOT incorporating any additional exercise into your routine. If you ARE adding additional exercise to your routine that is outside of your day to day activities then you need to fuel that so YES eat your exercise calories. That doesn’t mean you need to eat ALL of your ex cals ALL the time. It just means that you need to give your body the extra fuel it needs to manage the additional exercise your asking it to do. Some think of it as an “excuse” to “eat more” but really eating your ex cals does not actually cancel out your deficit . . .
  • MHunte
    Options
    Thats right ^^^ Thats what i was trying to say!!!!!