Why peanut butter & almond butter?

Options
I often see either of these mentioned in diet formulas, or in people's posts.

Why, what do they contain/not contain that is so good?

I'm trying to break free of my old thinking, which would usually have included "peanut butter is bad for you because it is high in fat".

Replies

• Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's high in the "good fats", it doesn't contain transfat or much saturated fat. Fat is essential for your body to function properly, and nuts is considered a good fat - so it's where a lot of people get there fat calories from.

It is high calorie (because of the fat it contains) so you just have to watch how much you're eating, but as long as you are within your calorie range, it's no problem.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Its big attraction is its protein count!
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is high but its the "good fat". Stay within the serving suggestion (which often for me is actually too much) and you should be ok on the calories. Eat with whole grain bread to make it extra healthy. Im not sure about almond butter.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, almond butter is better than peanut (more protein and fiber) although both are great. Yes, they are high in fat, but it's the kind of fat that is healthy-- unsaturated plant sources that are essential for absorbing vitamins from fruit and vegetables that are only fat soluble.

Because they're high calorie, make sure you MEASURE portions and allot it into your calorie count. Also, make absolutely sure that you are getting 100% NATURAL versions!! Stuff like Jif and Peter Pan add sugar and trans fats (hydrogenated oils). Make sure the ingredients list the nut, and maybe salt, and thats it.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    And...they taste good!
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you like peanut butter, try PB2 -- it's great (especially the chocolate one). My whole family devours it:

http://www.bellplantation.com/
  • scmoore97
    scmoore97 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great source of protein and HDL's (the good fats). HDL's help remove plaque and bad cholesterol from around your heart; but like anything else, moderation is needed for it to work. Too much (like anything else) and your body can not process it.