Sick and working out?

Options
So last night I started feeling crappy and woke up this morning with a stuffy nose, sore throat, cough and congestion in my lungs. my fiance was up all last night with the flu too. We leave for a week long "Vacation" in less than 48 hours and we have about 13 hours of driving one day and 6 hours of driving the next day. I really want to get over this cold but Ive been doing so crappy over the holidays with my eating and exercise I just want to get back on track. Should I just stay in bed like Ive been doing or try to walk on my treadmill for a half hour or hour? Any suggestions?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    stick to a nice walk until you feel better. If you have a fever, skip it altogether until you are well again
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I stick to this rule of thumb when I'm sick:

Above the neck? Go to the gym.
    Below the neck? Go to bed.
  • Brandie1988
    Brandie1988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried to take my temperature yet, My fiance is still trying to find the thermometer. He was having hot and cold flashes last night and was throwing up to the point he was getting light headed.... Hopefully my cold isnt leading up to that! He was only ill for bout 12 hours but he says his tummy is still feeling a bit crappy. I am starting to think it might be smart to stay in bed and try to sleep it off. I have lots of cough drops and robitussin :) I am allowed 1240 calories right now but I think if I stay in the 15-1600 range it wont make me gain atleast. Maybe some boneless skinless chicken breast with steamed vegetables for dinner would be a good choice.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    What did your physician tell you? Did you check with them where you are not feeling so good?
  • Brandie1988
    Brandie1988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What did your physician tell you? Did you check with them where you are not feeling so good?

Unfortunately I dont have a job where I get medical benefits and I cant afford to go to the doctor with my minimum wage job :(
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    Go to bed and get your rest! If you're not feeling well, you probably won't be eating much anyway. And if you start throwing up too, you may end up losing weight anyway:sick:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I dont have a job where I get medical benefits and I cant afford to go to the doctor with my minimum wage job :(

They cant charge you for talking to their Triage nurse!!!!!!

Your local hospitals.... most have an "Ask A Nurse" hotline.... Free of charge as well...

Give them a call and get real medical advice........
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Rest up! Sometimes it's ok to exercise if you're a little under the weather but if you're sick then it's safer to just rest.

I went to the gym once and I didn't even feel sick. I did my first warm up deadlift set and I got so dizzy that everything went black and white and fuzzy. I reckon I was a second away from passing out but luckily I didn't I packed up and went home straight away. The next day I had a full on cold and couldn't even go to work.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I would rather take it easy and get better than push myself and be sick even longer.
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Stay home. The gym doesn't need your germs. Rest and get back on track later.