Them Thighs, Them Thighs, Gonna Flab Around

Options
Hey,

So, I've had doctors tell me that even if I lose a good amount of weight, my thighs are not likely to get much smaller. I can tone them a bit, but I've been told that leg fat is just too stubborn to really go away after a certain point.

Is this true? I'm not expecting skinny chicken legs here, but it would be nice to be able to wear any pants without them being loose below the knee and tight above them. Is there a certain type of exercise that needs to be done to wear down thigh fat, or will my body just eventually become poorly proportioned once my stomach and arm flabs are gone?

Replies

• kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    They might be talking about the fact that fat cells shrink, but don't really go away. I've heard arguments on both sides of the fence that say they go away after a long period of being shrunk or stay forever. But once the fat cell forms and divides, your body is trained to store fat there. But as you lose the weight and shrink those fat cells and keep them shrunk, your legs should show the effects. And your skin, depending on age and elasticity of the skin, can take about a year to catch up so that might take a while to show the results. But those fat cells should eventually shrink as you burn fat.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is great advice, but you know your own body shape. Are you pear shaped, carrying most of your weight there? Even so, you can still lose fat from there, because fat is lost all over your body.

GG
  • kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    And as for exercises that pull fat from a certain area- I'm going to lay on some bad news.
    Your body is trained to do what's best for itself and not what's best for the mirror WHICH I HATE THAT ITS THAT WAY! But love it at the same time. It will pull fat from the area that needs the fat pulled first, no matter the exercise that you do. BUT you can tone an area with muscle, which also helps you burn calories and fat faster :)
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A small change in thigh size can make a HUGE difference in how pants fit. Your thighs may not look very different from when you start, except more toned, but pants may still become a far easier fit. Keep it up!
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    ive had trouble with my thigh area