eating quickly

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on teaching oneself to eat more slowly? I have ALWAYS been a quick eater - I am usually the first person done with my food in whatever setting I am eating in. As a result, I either eat more than I should (keep eating so I'm not just sitting there), or I don't feel as satisfied as I do when I eat slowly - I still feel hungry for awhile even though I know I'm really not.

I'd like to change this habit, but thought I'd see if anyone else has (succesfully?) dealt with the same issue?

Replies

• kaelin_boi
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on teaching oneself to eat more slowly? I have ALWAYS been a quick eater - I am usually the first person done with my food in whatever setting I am eating in. As a result, I either eat more than I should (keep eating so I'm not just sitting there), or I don't feel as satisfied as I do when I eat slowly - I still feel hungry for awhile even though I know I'm really not.

I'd like to change this habit, but thought I'd see if anyone else has (succesfully?) dealt with the same issue?
  • Moma_Do
    Moma_Do Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good question. I do the same thing.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I used to have a major cross bite as a kid, so chewing was kinda hard. I find that distracting myself as I eat works to slow myself- but not so distracted I forget to pay attention to my food. A magazine is good, or chatting. Try cutting food smaller or bigger than normal (most people say smaller but bigger forces me to chew)
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    There was a short-lived weight loss television show called I Can Make You Thin and one of the tips recommended on the program was to put your fork (or spoon) down between every single bite. This helps you eat slower and really enjoy your food, instead of just shoveling it in.

HTH!
  • prerana
    prerana Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've read that eating slowly helps your body recognize when its satisfied. You're less likely to over eat because you've given your body time to know it is full.
  • Amboo
    Amboo Posts: 30
    Options
    I too had to learn how to eat slower, when you have kids you tend to at least I do try to get it all in before they need something. I take a drink after every bite. It may be in my head but liquid makes things expand so I tend to think that it is doing the same thing in my belly. I also talk after I have washed my food down. It seems to help me but then again everyone is different. Hope this helps
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    i too had that problem
    these are things i do
    talk while eating:tongue:
    check email while eating:happy:
    feed the kids while eating:laugh:
    pay bills online while eating:ohwell:

usually ill put my food on the kitchen counter
    and eat as i clean up the kids messes from them eating:flowerforyou:

having three kids...ive learned to eat when i can!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I also eat too fast - I am always the first one finished in any situation as well.

I'm interested in reading everyone's comments too!
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I take my time eating but while I'm eating I put my fork or spoon down after every bit which gives me time to chew without rushing and enjoy it. It works well for me. My dad was told by his nutritionist that it should take you 20 minutes to finish a meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner). She suggested that after a few bites get up and walk to the other side of the house and then return to the table and continue that method until your done.

I hope this helps! :drinker:
  • guamchar
    guamchar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Also on the show I can Make You Think, Paul said that you should make sure to actually taste the food that you are eating. Savor every bite. Chew each bite 20 times. It's hard, but once you get used to it, you do it without thinking.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    turn the tv off, sit at the kitchen table. arrange your food artfully. Take your time. Focus on eating only. Save conversations for after dinner. Chew each bite 20 times. sip water between bites. There are lots of tips out there. You just need to focus on the task at hand. I drink a glass of water beforehand so I'm not as hungry when I get my food in front of me. :flowerforyou: