Living out of a hotel room - need advice.

imarlett
imarlett Posts: 228 Member
edited October 7 in Motivation and Support
In Febuary, I will be in NYC (how exciting!) for training for my new job. However, I will be living out of a hotel room - not a residence inn where I can cook for myself. I will also be travelling across country (from California to NY). I do plan to bring my workout clothes and work out when I can.
I am very, very nervous about eating out all the time.
Any thoughts, suggestions, advice?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    In Febuary, I will be in NYC (how exciting!) for training for my new job. However, I will be living out of a hotel room - not a residence inn where I can cook for myself. I will also be travelling across country (from California to NY). I do plan to bring my workout clothes and work out when I can.
    I am very, very nervous about eating out all the time.
    Any thoughts, suggestions, advice?

DAMN! Head on down to Chelsea Market and say hello to Masaharu Morimoto for me, will ya!??? Goooood sushi!!!!! AHHHHHHH-SO!
  • Do they offer a continental breakfast? If so, most of them have fruit for breakfast. I would also look for little convenience stores where you can purchase your own sandwiches made to your liking without the mayo on whatever bread. You can also customize most anything that you order from a resturaunt. You can tell them no this or that and if they don't or won't customize then there is always a salad of some sort. Most places offer some kind of light dressing and almost all resturaunts offer some kind of lighter fare. Best of luck to you! Try to have some fun too.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    ask the hotel for a microwave. competitive bodybuilders bring all their food they will need to for the weekend and do just fine....generally speaking. scope out a market nearby and do some grocery shopping after you have set up daily menu. you can substitute foods that have the same nutritional values and end u p with macros that are very near what y ou have now...you don't have to eat out all the time or rely on "snacks".
    for example, if you currently have a fresh protein source for a meal (like chicken breast), you can sub canned albacore or canned chicken....they both make great salads or hot meals. if you normally eat cereal and milk in the morning, you can cook up oatmeal for about the same amount of protein and carbs. most hotels will install a small refrigerator and microwave if you ask.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    and iron makes an awesome panini press! lol
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    I previously traveled for a living, and hated eating out ALL the time. So, I started grocery shopping at the beginning of the week and documenting my purchases in lieu of meals so I'd be reimbursed by the company. I never had any problems.

Ask the hotel for a fridge, and if they don't have one, see if they can find a rental place for you to get one for yourself. At worst, buy a plug in cooler (ours is a Coleman from Target). Keep healthy foods on hand, even if that's some fruit and yogurt. Pantry staples like cereal and protein bars are also a good idea. I'd also ask for a microwave. Finally, check out the hotel fitness room and/or pool. If they don't have either, I'd recommend hand weights and a jump rope, and I'd run the stairs.

Have fun and good luck.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Don't be afraid to ask if they can do special meals when you're in a restaurant. I travel a fair amount (always work out in hotel or go for a run - that helps). Had a WONDERFUL meal recently that happened like this:

They had Tilapia on the menu - served with some sort of cream sauce.

They had a mixed greens salad.

They had 'seasonal veggies' with another dish.

They had Blackened catfish.

I told the waiter I was on a strict low-cal diet and asked if I could...

1. Have the Tilapia grilled with the blackening seasoning
    2. Saute the seasonal veggies in very little oil - I asked for a double portion
    3. Have a mixed green salad - double portion, no dressing and no bread, but with some candied walnuts that were on another salad

They were happy to oblige and it was a delicious meal. It never hurts to ask....

At the end of the day, if they won't do that, avoid the following:

Anything with potatoes - because where there's potato, there's also oil, butter or cream
    Anything with the word cream in it
    Pesto - that stuff is delicious, but packed with calories
    Mayo
    Cheese
    Pasta & Rice - ask for extra Veggies instead
    Bread - have them take the basket away if you have to (I have to - especially if it's sourdough) - where there's bread, butter is sure to follow
    Bagels - they're like 300 calories a pop!!

Concentrate: Veggies, Veggies, Veggies - Lean Protein - In a restaurant, you don't need to worry about carbs or fats, they'll take care of that for you regardless of what you order :laugh:

One packet of oatmeal and some fresh berries for breakfast & if you're in a hotel that has free breakfast, take another packet of oatmeal, a breakfast bar and a piece of fruit with you for your lunch (maybe a carton of milk or yogurt if you have a place to keep it cold). I also travel with healthy snacks (primarily peanuts in the shell or maybe a fat-free microwave popcorn packet) to keep me from having candy bars, chips or the butter-soaked popcorn packets from the front desk.

Most of all it's about keeping temptations off the table.

And one last thing - if the stay at the DoubleTree - grit your teeth, pinch yourself and turn down the fresh warm cookies at checkin.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    and iron makes an awesome panini press! lol

Everyone freaks out about what may or may not be on the comforter and you're off making f--king sandwiches with the iron!?!

You are certainly no germophobe! :laugh:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Lean meats + unsauced veggies and a small amount of light carbs (steamed rice, baked or grilled potatoes, etc.). It's very hard to go over your calorie budget with this. Fresh fruit, light yogurts, and such should also be available for breakfast at a cafe.
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    When eating out there are little things you can do to save calories:

No fried foods
    Ask for dressing on the side and only use a little
    Tell them to hold the butter and oil when cooking
    Stick to small (regular size portion) of chicken or meat. Not the oversized portions usually served in a restaurant.
    No sodas, water instead, or green tea if available.
    Veggies for a side dish
    No bread basket on the table

Most restaurants know that ppl diet and are more than happy to help you cut calories whenever possible, you just have to tell them. Ask how foods are prepared before ordering because that can make all the difference. Good luck, hope this helps.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    You could call the hotel concierge and ask for suggestions of area restaurants or shops that will have healthy foods for you...maybe there's a gym nearby that would sell a temporary pass...things like that?
  • fauxfatale
    fauxfatale Posts: 20 Member
    There are a lot of quick-food chains in NYC that specialize in healthy food. Look up Energy Kitchen and Dig Inn. They both have lots of healthy low-carb options. The other great thing about NYC is that all chain restaurants are required to put calorie counts on the menu. This makes it much harder to justify a cookie at Starbucks when you can see right in front of you that it's 550 calories.

A few other healthy places: Wai Cafe and Dojo. A lot of New Yorkers eat out all their meals and NYers are mostly skinny so there are lots of healthy places to eat.

Also, it is a walking city-- get your steps in! Take the subway instead of taxis and tour the city on foot. It's the best way to see it. Manhattan is really safe so feel free to wander!
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Awesome replies - the Iron comment was hella funny. Thanks everyone. I knew you all had some great suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.