Ideas for chicken

Options
So lately ive been trying to eat mostly chicken for dinner. But my limited cooking skills, and recipe ideas are getting boring! I would love to hear some recipes or good seasoning ideas for chicken.

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use allrecipes.com and just put in ingredients I have like "Chicken and mushrooms". I'm making this tonight-not using the egg to coat the chicken, though. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mushroom-chicken-piccata/detail.aspx Will serve with steamed mixed veggies on the side and maybe some quinoa.
  • Aess12
    Aess12 Posts: 3
    Options
    For the 1st time I tried ground chicken breast and used it to make a taco salad of sort (minus the chips) it was really good and I didn't miss the beef at all!
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Garlic Basil Chicken!

Cook chicken breast in a skillet, add balsamic vinegar, garlic basil seasoning, olive oil, and cherry tomatoes. You can add it over any sort of noodles if you are eating pasta, or if not, it is still good without the noodles! I used to eat it with egg noodles, but now I eat it plain.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Open your spice cupboard, if you've got a good supply of spices...

Lemon Juice to moisten it and make the seasoning stick
    Chipotle and honey
    cayenne pepper
    crushed red pepper flakes
    summer savory
    dill
    lemon pepper
    allspice / nutmeg / cloves
    mustard seed (the powder, I can't hack liquid squeeze mustard )
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    salsa chicken is good:
    This is so easy:

I used:

1 large jar of salsa (I used Mild and a little extra but my crockpot is long)

1 can of black beans rinsed (I used the Kroger organic low sodium)

1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast

1 bag of frozen corn

Directions:

Spray the crockpot with cooking spray

Cube the chicken

Add Salsa to crockpot first

Add Chicken

Add Black Beans

Add Corn

I cooked on high for 4 hours but could do on low for 6-8 hours

Serves 6 people:

223 calories

1 gram of fat

20 grams of protein
  • Brookelee30
    Options
    Bump
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com you will not beo sorry I promise her recipes are great!
  • TinaVanHoecke
    Options
    Chicken Kabobs. Love to marinade cut up chicken and veggies for Kabobs. YUM! Stir fry is good too. Lots of veggies always.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    OMG...while I was at Walmart today I saw these things over with the cheese that are prepackaged seasoning and cheese for chicken. It is kinda like shake and bake. They looked good and didnt look too bad. There were like 4 different kinds but I only looked at one of them.
  • BoopsyBoop
    BoopsyBoop Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Stuffed Chicken (Serves 4)

1.5 lbs chicken breasts
    2 T breadcrumbs
    1/4 C lemon juice
    salt and pepper
    2 C Broccoli, chopped
    1 C Low fat parmesan cheese
    2 T olive oil
    olive oil spray
    1 C cooking wine
    1 orange
    1 T cornstarch

Mix ingredients in bowl, cut a pocket in chicken. Stuff chicken with mixture. Spray 8x8 dish w cook spray. Place chicken in dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs.Squeeze the orange and drizzle breasts with juice. Spray top of chicken with olive oil cooking spray. Bake 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Mix 1 T cornstarch with .5 T hot water. Add 1 C cooking wine to pan, while stirring, pour cornstarch mixture into pan. When chicken is done, place on serving dish and pour juice from bake dish into pan. Bring to boil and simmer. Pour sauce on top of chicken.

Chicken Fajita Pasta (Serves 4)

1.5 lbs chicken breasts
    6 oz farfalle pasta
    1 green pepper, 1 red pepper (sweet)
    1 onion, chopped
    1 T olive oil
    1 T lemon juice
    1/4 C SW Chipotle
    salt and pepper

1/4 C lemon juice
    1/4 C SW chipotle

Mix lemon juice and SW chipotle in bowl, pour on bottom of 8x8 dish. Place chicken on top and baste with sauce. Add salt and pepper. Marinade overnight. Grill Chicken. Cook pasta. Sautee veggies with 1/4 C lemon juice and 1/4 cup SW chipotle, s&p. Toss everything together.

Chicken Zucchini Stew (Serves 6)

1 T olive oil
    large zucchini, chopped
    large yellow squash, chopped
    2 potatoes, chopped
    Onion, chopped
    2 Celery ribs, sliced
    2 carrots, sliced
    2 C Swanson Chicken Broth (99% Fat Free)
    1 lb chicken breasts, season salt and pepper, grill (I use countertop grill), shred
    1 Garlic clove, minced
    Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. When hot, place veggies into pan and sautee for 7 minutes. Add broth and 2 C water. Add chicken. Cook until thick, about 60 minutes.

You could also use ground chicken/turkey for chili, homemade sloppy joes, hamburgers, tacos, soups. Anything you make with groundbeef, you can make with ground chicken/turkey. I suggest looking online for some good chicken recipes...you don't always have to season it and bake it...there are a million variations to cooking chicken and it's awesome in stews, salads and even on kaiser rolls served like a hamburger (full chicken breast cut in half and grilled).
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Tonight I did ginger garlic chicken and it turned out really well.

I created a marinade/sauce:

2 tablespoons minced ginger ( you can use less if u prefer, but i love ginger!)
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup low sodium soy (if u can sub this out, do it --- sooo much sodium!)
    zest of 1 lime
    juice of 1 lime
    1 tbsp olive oil

231c/serving, low fat, high protein, a little high in sodium because of the soy sauce tho.
    mix all ingredients and pour into a ziplock bag. Place chicken breasts in bag and allow to marinate in fridge for no more than 20 mins. Transfer to baking dish with marinade and bake covered for 25 mins. Remove foil and back 20 more mins or until juices run clear. Baste chicken every 5-10 mins with marinade.

It was sooo good and i loved the lime. i servied it with rice pilaf with spinach and carrot.

Chicken is like a blank canvas. Any spice can become a rub. Any dressing can be a marinade.

I've done tex mex with chili powder, cumin seed, garlic and onion powder; asian with cloves, cinammon, fennel seeds, anise, pinch of cumin and ground szechuan peppercorns; greek with a zero cal mediterranean vinagrette used as a marinade .

Chicken can be sliced and stuffed with spinach and low fat cheese, or low fat deli ham and low fat cheddar, you can make your own whole grain stuffing with whole grain bread and chicken broth plus rosemary, little bit of thyme and garlic and onion then stuff the chicken breast. Protein and grain all in one.

Slice chicken for fajitas, ranch wraps - both loaded with veggies of choice.
    Ground chicken can be used for tacos or chili.

Easy meals can be made by slicing chicken breast and tossing with a bag of frozen veggies (whichever assorment you prefer) and a little chicken broth and garlic.

If you like to have an exact recipe, I second allrecipes.com. just input ingredients and you are good to go. We eat so much chicken here and never get bored!
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    there is a wide range of things you can cook with chicken, Lemon chicken pan fried cut up into peaces and drunched in lemon juice, you can cook it in a crock pot with peese celary, ect, and look up recipes for stir fries, also chicken buritos with rice and beans excallent source of protein =)
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    BBQ sauce.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Simmer in some apple cider vinegar with different herbs. Tastes really good. I also like to take strips of chicken soak bake with balsamic vinegar and EVOO then mix together with spinach, feta, sun dried tomatoes, and mushrooms. Combine all of them together, put on a peice of flatbread and bake. Soooo good! You can also take those same ingredients, combine them, then wrap it in phyllo dough for a flaky pastry treat that is lower cal than other options.