"Creeper" and "looks-ism"...

Options
mauryr
mauryr Posts: 385
I just saw another post about a "creeper" - a middle aged man taking pictures of a younger man who was jogging.
( original post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/443509-what-a-creep)

It's an interesting thread... it made me think of something that happened to me a while ago...

A couple of years ago, I was picking up my daughter at a party, at around 10:30 pm. I was waiting outside for her, sitting in my parked car. When my daughter finally came to the car, she was mortified... she said I looked like a "creeper". I was not doing anything wrong - nothing. Just sitting there, listening to the radio, waiting. After I picked her up, I drove a couple of blocks then pulled over to program my GPS. A passing cop stopped to question me, as I was an older, overweight man in a car with a young girl. When I told him I was her father, he asked my daughter to verify this, and then let us go on our way.

Interestingly, a year or two later, I've lost a bunch of weight, and now I must fit a different category, or so it seems, because that same daughter always introduces me to her friends, and even occasionally asks me to hang out with them, and join their discussions - both in person, and on-line.

Granted,, my daughter is older (14 vs 16 yrs) but still, I am the same person (of course)... but I am perceived differently due to my improved appearance. A prime example of "looks-ism".

So, as shameful as it is, it seems to me that although it's not discussed openly, there is definitely weight-ism or "looks-ism" (like racism or ageism) at play in society here. I think it's usually more subtle than the example I cited.

Any other stories like this out there?

Replies

• mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    No-one? Really?

Wait a minute, is this thing on? (thumps on microphone)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    No-one? Really?

Wait a minute, is this thing on? (thumps on microphone)
    Hi!
  • kjones3535
    Options
    There was a story on one of the news channels not that long ago about this. It was talking mostly about what happens in the work-place for good looking people. It was really amazing to see the results. Even though the lelss attractive person was more qualified, the good looking person got the job nearly every time.
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I am treated differently by people when I am thinner. However, I'm unsure if that is because people truly view me differently or if it is because my level of confidence is different and I present myself differently.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

So, as shameful as it is, it seems to me that although it's not discussed openly, there is definitely weight-ism or "looks-ism" (like racism or ageism) at play in society here. I think it's usually more subtle than the example I cited.

I don't think its shameful. I think its an inherent biological survival mechanism to avoid people who appear creepy, diseased, dangerous, unfriendly, or otherwise unpleasant in any way that may hinder our health, comfort, or survival.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Nah man, you still look like a creeper...........haha jk:flowerforyou:
  • LaVieEnRaw
    Options
    I was actually recently listening to Stephen Dubner discuss this. He was talking with a woman who worked at a school as a counselor; She had worked there quite some time and was wonderful at her job. And one day, her boss actually approached her and stated that "she needed to lose weight or else be fired." She told him that she didn't understand, and he replied with "You're weight is a sign that your life is out of control, and that sets a bad example for the kids."

Now in my personal opinion, being overweight does not always mean your life is spiraling out of control. Big companies force products down our throats, while healthy food remains the most expensive on the market. It's no wonder that half of lower class citizens are overweight, yet they are teased and looked down upon for being so. So yes, I am in complete agreement with you that there is "weight-ism" in America.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

I don't think its shameful. I think its an inherent biological survival mechanism to avoid people who appear creepy, diseased, dangerous, unfriendly, or otherwise unpleasant in any way that may hinder our health, comfort, or survival.

.... and to expand a little further on what you referred to as "weight-ism", speaking strictly from an evolutionary history standpoint (think about cavemen, nomads, and hunter/gatherers): an over weight person is a greater strain on natural resources, provides little in the way of protection from predators and opposing clans, and would be less adept at hunting/gathering. Not to mention that being over weight may be a sign of disease or parasites. Similarly, humans are equally (if not more so) repelled by severely underweight persons for the same reasons.... they provide little in the way of protection or food gathering and are probably sickly. So even though these concerns have dissipated over a few hundred years, its difficult to over ride instincts ingrained on us through thousands and thousands of years. <--- Long story short: We are more likely to invite healthy and fit persons into our close circles... thus the behavior you are experiencing with your daughter now inviting you into her group for conversation and companionship. :flowerforyou: The End.