portion size for spaghetti

Options
hope25
hope25 Posts: 188 Member
What does a portion of cooked spaghetti look like? The back of the bo says 2 oz, uncooked I have no clue what that looks like when I am dishing it out?

Replies

• jesserussellnoll
    Options
    I'm not sure how accurate this is, but normally I say one serving is about a cup. I know some pastas such as penne or ziti say about 2/3 of a cup dry, and those are about 4/3 of a cup when cooked. I would actually like to know the answer of this too.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Some packs of spaghetti actually have measurements. I saw a pasta measurer at bed bath and beyond for 1, 2, 4, servings.

1 serving is around the width of a quarter.

Check out this guide: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1725/measuring-pasta-serving-sizes
  • cwalters1540
    cwalters1540 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A serving of pasta is equal to half a cup. If you're just estimating it should look to be about the size of half a baseball or should fill an empty cupcake wrapper.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale so that I can weigh out most of my food. I find that it is the easiest way to do it. I also like angel hair pasta because it feels like I am eating more of it when it is still 2 oz.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    when i eat pasta, i usually eat the entire box.
  • kaytiecakes
    kaytiecakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options

me too! :sad:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This is a little ocd, but I weigh out the dry pasta and boil it. For me and my husband I usually make 6 oz. When the pasta is done and drained, I measure the cooked pasta. I eat one third of the cooked pasta (or 2 oz of dry pasta).
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing and found the answer on line last week. Still looking today, but found this:

http://theemptykitchen.wordpress.com/kitchen-essentials/the-essentials-ingredient-conversions/ingredient-conversions-pasta-rice-and-grains/
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    http://www.ilovepasta.org/faqs.html

This has more info as well.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Totally understand. I cut down to 1/3 of the both recently. I was so happy with myself last week......I only ate 3oz!!!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    When I make spaghetti noodles each serving is 2oz, so I weigh 8oz on my food scale. After it is cooked I weigh the entire container of cooked noodles and just take out exactly 1/4, so I end up with the 2oz serving. That's the only way I can do it.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

me too! :sad:

Gawd, me too!! I thought I was the only starch monster out there.
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    This has been mentioned, but I can't reiterate this enough. Get a food scale. I even found you a good one:

http://www.amazon.com/Weighmax-Electronic-Kitchen-Scale-2810-2KG/dp/B000P1PJL4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326171247&sr=8-4

I think I'm going to buy it for myself now too, since it measures down to .1 ounces and my current one is analog.
  • branflake5
    Options
    I take 1 cup of pasta (angel hair wheat pasta for me) and 1/2 cup of sauce. Along with a salad it gets you full and doesn't kill you on calories:)
  • rharpera
    rharpera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @jadedone That was such a helpful comparison ... thank you!!!
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When they say 2 oz does that mean cooked or uncooked?
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    What does a portion of cooked spaghetti look like? The back of the bo says 2 oz, uncooked I have no clue what that looks like when I am dishing it out?

Take a day to weigh the various pastas you make, weigh and then cook them. Look to see about how much it is on your plate.
    It might actually be bigger than you think it is, especially spaghetti
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    When they say 2 oz does that mean cooked or uncooked?

2 oz uncooked
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I usually just get the 12 oz boxes and eat half of it for 6 oz. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    This is a little ocd, but I weigh out the dry pasta and boil it. For me and my husband I usually make 6 oz. When the pasta is done and drained, I measure the cooked pasta. I eat one third of the cooked pasta (or 2 oz of dry pasta).

This isn't OCD at all, this is exactly how to weigh and portion food. :)