Couch to 5K Week 4 - anybody been here?

Options
Hey all - doing Couch 2 5Km at the moment (I'm not a first time runner but I'm trying to improve on pace and style so I started from Day 1 Week 1).

I'm up to Week 4 (done 2nd session) and MAN, it's a HUGE jump from Week 3, I'm finding! At the end of Week 3, I was raring to go - felt so ready to move onwards and upwards.

But I'm really struggling with Week 4 - it feels like such a huge increase, to be going from 1.5min/3min running segments to 3min/5min ones!

Anyone else found this? Do you think I should re-do Week 4 until I'm feeling good about it, rather than struggling through it?

Replies

• bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating week 2,actually. I don't think I'm ready for week three. If your not comfortable with the pace they are moving at yt I would stick with what works for you now, build up to week four and try again next week.

I love this program though. It makes some variables to being on a treadmill.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I finished the c25k this summer. Some of the weeks do have big jumps. Week 5 was extremely hard. The last run of the week was 20 min. If you are struggling with a week definitely repeat a week. You are better off to do a week twice than push yourself and give up. (which I have done before). Just keep working at it and you will get it.
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hey all - doing Couch 2 5Km at the moment (I'm not a first time runner but I'm trying to improve on pace and style so I started from Day 1 Week 1).

I'm up to Week 4 (done 2nd session) and MAN, it's a HUGE jump from Week 3, I'm finding! At the end of Week 3, I was raring to go - felt so ready to move onwards and upwards.

But I'm really struggling with Week 4 - it feels like such a huge increase, to be going from 1.5min/3min running segments to 3min/5min ones!

Anyone else found this? Do you think I should re-do Week 4 until I'm feeling good about it, rather than struggling through it?

It's been a while, I am working my way back to that, but last time, it was week 4 that put the breaks on. I still ran my 5k, but using my week 4 music.

I found that due to my weight, I had to kind of match my progress through c25K with my weight loss. Being 340#, I needed to basically only move to the next week/level when I had lost 10#. It meant I ran a little faster if it took a month, and sometimes I would add an extra set in each week.

So, if your between 50-60# overweight and using C25K, I would suggest something like only moving levels when you lose 5#. If you push faster, you risk injuring joints, and that only will slow your weight loss journey.
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did think it was huge. However I found once I gave it a go I could actually do it. And if you have to, slow down.

It's alot easier when you dont think about it as much, and by the time you get to the end of your 3 min break you will be rested again.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm redoing this and I really think what music you listen to really affects the progress.

You may need to redo or try week 5 and if not very good go back.
  • one_strong_mama
    one_strong_mama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used this same training and I find that when I start a week, it's a lot harder and I go a lot slower than the week before but I think your body needs that in order to grow. Instead of going back to the same week, go a little slower and don't be so hard on yourself. As long as your jogging faster than walking for those intervals, your body will adjust.

It's your call. Good luck!
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I think I'll repeat Week 4 to get up to the pace that I want to be doing it at. I don't want to risk injuring myself and having to stop altogether, that's for sure!