Delusional or too old??

Options

Replies

• harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Ok I'm cracking up here!! Thanks for the laughs!!!:laugh:
    Especially the 'can it kiddo grandma'- totally rocks....
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    So I was telling my friend that Day 3 into 30DS I hurt my rotator cuff. She said I might be too old for 30DS and should consider a Yoga for seniors dvd. Explained that perhaps at my age I shouldn't be doing the high impact jumping jumping and such... I'm 44, I didn't think I was too old...or am I just being delusional?
    You are certainly too old to change exercise programs because one friend says so.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry? Did your friend just call you a senior citizen? And for that matter, is she aware of all the seriously BA seniors out there, many of whom would be offended by implying all they can do is a dumbed down yoga?

I dare say you were injured due to the new exercise, not a case of being feeble due to old age. Do what you want to do, but do it slowly to work up to it.
  • markbolch
    markbolch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your age is just a number. I'm 55 and in better shape than when I was 35. Ive lost 30 lbs on here and 70 total. Pace yourself so you dont battle injuries but go for it. You can do it.. I would slap your friend down and see how long it takes them to get back up then do it again.. Okay thats a bit drastic but you get the point.. Read about Ernestine Shepard who at 74 runs 10 miles a day is a body builder and teaches fitness classes. She didnt start until she was 56. 44 is not old.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    wow im 42 and yes i have aches and pains, but it was worse last year when i was sitting on my butt... The exercise helps everything. Besides you even look young!! How old is this whiper snaper lmbo!!!!!

You are not to old, if you had an injury it is maybe you were just being more aggressive, we all do that starting out because we get excited!

good Luck to you!! Keep it up and dont stop! you got this!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You are NOT old.
    It might be good for you to do something lower impact while you are injured, but saying that you can't do something because of your age is RIdicuLOUS!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Before meeting up with this friend the next time, you should go to a medical supply store and rent a walker like this:

drivewlkr5whls.jpg

When you finally meet up with her, ask if she "prefers high impact or low impact" and promptly whack her as hard as you can with the walker in the region she chooses -- head for "high" or knees for "low".
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    44 isn't old. I'm 22 and I don't think 44 is old.

At any age, starting a new form of exercise too hard too fast is going to affect your body.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Lol, too old, omg. You are only as old as you think you are. I worked out at home for 2 months then stepped it up and started at the gym, wow, I am sure glad I started at home. Tell you "friend" to stuff it. The new "middle age" is now considered to be 50 so you aren't even middle aged yet, lol.
  • velvetwing
    Options
    sorry but your friend is just plain rediculous! you dont stop because you get older, you KEEP MOVING! I joked with my doc that maybe Im getting too old to do some of the things I love, he said to me you get old when you STOP moving not because you ARE moving. He explained to me that the body must keep moving to stay moving. That really made me think... I cant give up because Im in pain.... I have to work through it. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis in my upper back, double leg injury still not recovered from, a neck injury still working through and Ill be damned if its going to stop me. Ok so sometimes its frustrating and I might cry out of that frustration but get back on it and live life with or without the pain. I dont know what age "old" is but girl..... you are NOT there! Just find the right excercises that work for you and that you enjoy! Now get back to that 30ds! ( Im right there with ya)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't think so. My 63 year old mom does 30ds.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm just a little younger than you and I'm in the best shape of my life. According to your friend, in just a few short years, I should stop working out as hard as I do and try some senior workout dvd's? I do think though, at this point in your Steve Perry, you should try something a little lower impact since you're injured. That has nothing to do with age.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Some friend!!!! Even younger people can get injured exercising.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    44 isn't old...Maybe if you're 102 you'd be too old...Not even cloooose
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    my mom is 76 years old, and last summer she was able to do 25 mile bike rides. chew on that! I only hope I will be as healthy and tough as her when I am that age.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Before meeting up with this friend the next time, you should go to a medical supply store and rent a walker like this:

drivewlkr5whls.jpg

When you finally meet up with her, ask if she "prefers high impact or low impact" and promptly whack her as hard as you can with the walker in the region she chooses -- head for "high" or knees for "low".

LMAO
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    im almost 35, my dad is almost 85, he still rides his bike 10 miles every day, rakes the yard, shovels the snow, does a garden, and mows the grass. i dont even consider him old. hes a lot healthier than most people my age. just tell her to kiss your butt.:laugh:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options

drivewlkr5whls.jpg

LMAO

Thanks for the huge laugh. I spit out what I was drinking.:laugh:
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    my husband is 52 and did Insanity and is doing now the hybrid Insanity/P90X, I am 46 and do Insanity, P90X and Rockin' Body. I also did the 30 DS. A 20 year old can injure her/himself in each of those programs for multiple reasons, a wrong movement, not enough warm up.
    On another note my grandmother was 98 when she rode the bicycle each weekend from Tornesch to Hamburg, that is about 18 miles one way. You are never too old to exercise.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    LET IT HEAL! Get it checked by a physio, they will speed up the healing process. No pain no gain DOES NOT apply here. I stuffed mine several weeks back at tennis and pushed on through like an idiot. I've now got bursitis in my shoulder as well, so i switched to doing heaps of leg work and now i have shin splints. :grumble:
    Some of us have minds that think we're more capable than our bodies tell us. If i've learnt anything, listen to your body! I'll be easing back into things, using some gym equipment like spin or elliptical that is easier on your joints than just doing stuff on the floor.

Definitely not too old. Just too gung-ho!