Any vegetarians/vegans in the house? :)

Options
Hi guys, I've been a member for a very long time but never took anything seriously. I became a vegan literally overnight last week Monday and I already feel such an immense difference in my skin and my natural being. I feel more energy than before, I want to keep working out, I don't feel clogged up anymore and have lost 7lbs so far from just eating healthily :)

I have noticed though that ever since I became a vegan, my friends like to argue with me about it. Trying to convince me that I'm being stupid because I choose to eat meat substitutes, veg and fruits.

I try telling them about the improvement in myself and that I don't trust the meat my family buy.

How about you guys?

Replies

• siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Im a pescetarian :)
  • krichardson0102
    krichardson0102 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been vegetarian for about 8 years, did vegan once but only for a month. People will always argue with you and ask "How do you get your protein?"! I like to quickly explain that I get plenty of protein from spinach, tofu, soymilk, etc. and politely let them know that I don't judge them for what they eat and I would like that same respect. That usually works to quite the conversation. I would suggest that you keep doing what makes you feel good!! Good luck!!!!!!
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    sometimes meateaters feel defensive with u when ur making this kind of change. don't take it inside. it's their concern that now ur looking at them differently. they're thinking ur judging THEIR choices. reassure them that this is all for you, and u don't judge them eating meat, and aren't planning to lecture them on food. live healthy. let ur good health shine. let ur compassion for animals shine. unspoken choices have far more power than any lecture ever would. and remember, they think they're losing the you that they've known. remind them ur still u. it's change happening in the midst of their relationship, and not everyone is comfortable with change right away.
  • JayneTraub
    JayneTraub Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have been vegan for 12 years :) I originally became vegan because when I first met my husband he was an ultra strict vegan in respect of everything he uses in his life, not just what he eats - so for me it was easier to eat what he ate. I don't discuss being vegan with anyone including my friends - it is a bit like religion in that respect, it can bring out the worst in people and some like to think they need to convert you! If people are really interested I just keep it general.

Being vegan is a very healthy choice and you can get all the nutrients, protein etc you need in your everyday diet but like any daily eating you have to think about what you are eating to get the balance. Obviously if the range of foods you are eating is too limited then you will run into problems but no more than someone who lives on junk food! You can always take a vitamin supplement if you are worried - you can buy vegetarian and vegan ones :)

I was very lucky because my husband had been vegan for a very long time before I met him so he knew all about getting the balance right. As you are new to a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle you would probably find vegan websites a useful resource - just google them. I can't remember the names off the top of my head but there is an excellent UK one and I think there is a global one.

Good luck with your new lifestyle choice :)