"SAUSAGE" AND RED PEPPER STEW

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
This is a vegan version of recipe I found in a cookbook of mine. The original recipe calls for chorizo but I used tofurky sausage instead.

I tried to keep the recipe as close to as original as possible so here is what I put in mine:

1 lb potatoes (cubed)

1 tbsp oil

1 cup of onion (diced)

1 red bell pepper and 1 orange bell pepper (seeded and chopped) (recipe called for 2 red, but I like color)

2 sundried tomato tofurky sausages (or 3.5 oz chorizo sausage) (chopped up small)

1 can of blue menu diced tomatoes (16 oz size)

1 can of blue menu chick peas

4 cloves garlic

The recipe only called for chopped parsley as garnish but didn't list any other herbs spices etc but if defintely needs salt, pepper, hot sauce.....or whatever you like.

You can also do the mediterranean version which is where you add eggplant and zuchinni, and you omit the sausage.

Heres how you make it:

Boil potatoes until soft (I cubed mine first)

meanwhile add oil to fry pan and add onion, garlic and peppers until begin to soften, add sausage and heat 2 more min. Then add cooked/drained potatoes, tomatoes and chickpeas and simmer until heated through.

VOILA.....add seasoning and serve.

NUTRITIONAL INFO THE WAY I MADE IT WAS:

Serves 8 (1 cup/8oz each)

225 calories

13 protein

7 fiber

170 sodium as is without the addition of any spices (I added my own salt later to my bowl and it was 260 mg higher for sodium but still very doable and decent IMO)

6 fat

31 carb

This was a very tasty recipe and I had enough left over for lunch tommorrow and to freeze 2 servings for later!!

ENJOY!!

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness; I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing! :D
  • allaboutfamily
    allaboutfamily Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sounds great!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    sounds great!

It was nice and hearty and quick to make!!

I am always looking for meals my kids will eat.......plus left overs are a bonus so this all around was a good dish to make!