Starting to run...

Options
I just started running about 2 weeks ago and I enjoy it very much. I'm not sure if I should start by walking to cover distance or running in short distance to cover speed. My goal for this month is to be able to run/jog from my house to the beach (that's about 1.5 km) Anyone has any advice for amatur runner like me? Anything at all wil be much appreciated.

Replies

• mtaydelott
    mtaydelott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I coach high school runners... My advice would be to run as far as you can and walk the rest of the way. The next time you go try to get a little further, even if it is 10 feet further! Before you know it, you be running the entire way! Hope this helps!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Could you get the C25K app? I have it and love it!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's how I train - I really don't feel like running after I start walking... worked for me - went from running 1 mile to 10 miles in 2 months.
    I coach high school runners... My advice would be to run as far as you can and walk the rest of the way. The next time you go try to get a little further, even if it is 10 feet further! Before you know it, you be running the entire way! Hope this helps!
  • crazymomto3
    Options
    I've been running for about 12 years and I started the same way.... running until I was tired and then walked until I caught my breathe and then started over again with running. Now-a decade later, my daughter is learning to run with me. I was teaching her the way I learned when she started having pain. I took her to my PT and he told me the best way to learn to run is to do a timed walk/run. For example-my daughter was running for several weeks at this point, so he told her to run 2min and walk 2 min for half an hour. We are up to 45 minutes with 4min run/2 min walks. She has ran 4 5k's with pretty good times doing this and is still improving! My goal for myself and for my daughter is to be able to run until we're old! :-) If we are kind to our bodies now, I'm hoping that we can get to that goal! Good luck!