SQUATS: Why you need them and how to them right.

Options
Awesome article on how to do squats. I never knew they were this awesome. Also, the article on dead lifting is really aspiring too.

Great fitness reading here, guys! Check it out.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/08/why-you-need-squats-in-your-workout-and-how-to-do-them-right/

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    "There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat."

Mark Rippetoe
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I hadn't done squats in like over a month , because I was having knee issues and I did them on saturday and it felt great, my legs are still sore.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Squats are wonderful.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Shots make the world a better place!
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Squats!! Squats, Not shots! Although shots do too :P
    Watching Jersey Shore and posting is dangerous for your health!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    "There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat."

Mark Rippetoe

Word.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Squats!! Squats, Not shots! Although shots do too :P
    Watching Jersey Shore and posting is dangerous for your health!

I say doing shots while doing squats would make one helluva drinking game.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Do a squat, take a shot. She who remains standing longest, wins. :drinker:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: squats! :D

and shots..... :D
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    lol...i love squats and i love shots even more...I may try this squat/shot game at my next shindig, feel a little less guilty about drinking!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The guy in the video in the link isn't actually getting enough depth it looks like.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Because of squats, as soon as my waist was small enough for my goal wait dress I couldn't get it to cover my bubble butt :P
  • deemh
    deemh Posts: 14
    Options
    Squats and Lunges!! my 2 favourite exercises!!!!!!!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Because of squats, as soon as my waist was small enough for my goal wait dress I couldn't get it to cover my bubble butt :P

Small waist AND a bubble butt? Sign me up!!
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options

Mark Rippetoe

I would have to disagree, respectively, with Mr. Rippetoe. The power clean, the clean and jerk and the snatch exercises put a greater amount of stress on the human body in every way. Squats are definitely right up there though, and you have to respect the squat exercise because a lot of people get hurt doing squats incorrectly.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Word up, yo!
  • BundangKiwiGal
    BundangKiwiGal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for posting :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks for sharing! The 10-min vid was definitely worth watching, I'll be keeping those things in mind when I squat tomorrow. :smile:
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with squats - love what they do but hate having to do them - luckily the love relationship is flourishing more than the hate relationship lately :-)

Happy Squatting!