Are tofu and soy products keeping us fat?

Options
Hi everyone,

I read an interesting article yesterday on how tofu raises our estrogen level and keeps us fat.

I have only read this article, but now I am wary of soy products.

What has been your experience with them?

I have found they do affect me and will now stay away from them.

This article also points out why Oprah has continued to have problems with her weight and I was wondering why that was as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jenlee7.htm

Here is part of what they say:

"Tofu and all other soy products do another thing to your body. It's been scientifically proven, even after a small amount of time (about a month) of someone on a soy rich diet, that their body starts to hold and hoard onto fat. Why? Because once soy is digested into the system, it causes one's estrogen levels to do one thing - rise! "

Anyone eating soy products and having trouble losing?

Connie Lynn

Replies

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I read an interesting article yesterday on how tofu raises our estrogen level and keeps us fat.

I have only read this article, but now I am wary of soy products.

What has been your experience with them?

I have found they do affect me and will now stay away from them.

This article also points out why Oprah has continued to have problems with her weight and I was wondering why that was as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jenlee7.htm

Here is part of what they say:

"Tofu and all other soy products do another thing to your body. It's been scientifically proven, even after a small amount of time (about a month) of someone on a soy rich diet, that their body starts to hold and hoard onto fat. Why? Because once soy is digested into the system, it causes one's estrogen levels to do one thing - rise! "

Anyone eating soy products and having trouble losing?

Connie Lynn
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Um. NO! :noway:
    In fact TOFU Helps fill me up faster, is good for women, ALWAYS HAS BEEN!
    And is SCIENTIFICLY PROVEN to help with digestion.
    Oprah does not have trouble with her weight now that she is eating health and working out most everyday. Stopped with the Sodas and the fried foods.
    To say that people are going to lose weight just eating red meats and staying away from all carbs and digestive enzyme products like Tofu, Yogurt, and Milk is in my opinion INSANE! (Yes I know not everyone can drink milk or eat Yogurt.)
    Try to remember EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!
    Without reading the article and just going on what you said. It sounds to me like another Body Builder trying to fit everyone into their new DIET fad. :ohwell:
    Again, I have not read the article, and I am not reaming you. :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • rhondababy
    Options
    This is so interesting! When was a vegetarian, eating soy daily, I gained 40 lbs in 18 months. Of course

this could also have been due to Prozac, and lots of bagels:wink:

My mom was talking about some problem with pre-menopausal women eating too much soy, but she

didn't really have any basis, and it didn't sound like it made much sense.

I have also read that soy can raise our estrogen levels. The question is how much does it raise them?

And how much soy is too much? Tofu twice a week, and some edamame now and then, and soymilk in

my coffee many days a week is about me normal consumption.

I'd love more info!
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Rhonda here again- sorry for the typos!!!!

And- I will do some searching on my own and see what can come up with.

BTW I believe Oprah's problems had to do with her TSH levels being off, which is not uncommon in

in women in menopause. I don't believe it had anything to do with her diet.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to believe about Tofu and soy products...I'd heard that eating too much of it was a bad thing though.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    MYTH # 3
    Tofu is low in fat

Nope, about 40% of the calories in tofu come from fat good, heath-promoting fat. Despite the fat Tofu is actually very low in calories and is a good source of protein. Gram for gram, few foods provide as many proteins, carbohydrate and fat benefits in as few calories.

In a process somewhat similar to the way some cheeses are made, tofu is made by curding hot soymilk with a coagulant. Natural minerals, such as nigari (a compound derived from ocean water) and calcium sulfate, are added to the soymilk, which is then heated, strained and pressed. You can try your hand at making tofu at home, too.
    www.womenfitness.net
    dd
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Here is another article on it.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/food/soy_story.html

How Much Soy Do Asians Really Eat?
    "Those who dare to question the benefits of soy tend to receive one stock answer: Soy foods couldn't possibly have a downside because Asians eat large quantities of soy every day and consequently remain free of most western diseases. In fact, the people of China, Japan, and other countries in Asia eat very little soy. "

"Many Americans today think nothing of consuming a cup of tofu, a couple glasses of soy milk, handfuls of soy nuts, soy "energy bars," and veggie burgers. Infants on soy formula receive the most of all, both in quantity and in proportion to body weight."

Hmmm,

The debate continues,

Connie Lynn
  • zenmama
    Options
    I heard that it had a huge fat content especially fat from calories.....?

The confusion of soy!!! :noway:

dd
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Honestly, I'd say the fast food, meat and dairy industries, and to some extent the "diet industry," are more to blame for making us fat than anything.

As for people on vegetarian diets getting fat -- I've seen that with a bunch of people I know. I think the problem comes from relying on a lot more carbs, and assuming that "health food" can be eaten in bulk.

As per the diet industry, does it strike anyone odd that Jenny Craig is owned by Nestle?

Talk about creating a customer base.
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Hi there,

Found another article on Soy's thyroid dangers!

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy_3.htm

"A Look at the Dangers of Soy to the Health of Your Thyroid
    Leading Expert Warns of Soy-Thyroid Connection in Bestselling Book

In the bestselling book Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You … That You Need to Know, leading soy expert Dr. Mike Fitzpatrick was profiled.

"Dr. Mike Fitzpatrick is an environmental scientist and phytoestrogen researcher who has extensively researched the issue of soy formulas, and the impact of soy consumption on thyroid function. Dr. Fitzpatrick introduced me to a little-known fact that can have substantial impact on people with hypothyroidism and the population in general -- overconsumption of soy products has the potential to impair thyroid function. Dr. Fitzpatrick is so concerned that he is calling for soy formula manufacturers to remove the isoflavones -- the agents that are most active against the thyroid -- from their products."

".. There are also concerns for adult consumption of soy products. One UK study involving premenopausal women gave 60 grams of soy protein per day for one month. This was found to disrupt the menstrual cycle, with the effects of the isoflavones continuing for a full three months after stopping the soy in the diet. Another study found that intake of soy over a long period causes enlargement of the thyroid and suppresses thyroid function. Isoflavones are also known to modify fertility and change sex hormone status, and to have serious health effects -- including infertility, thyroid disease or liver disease -- on a number of mammals… Dr. Fitzpatrick believes that people with hypothyroidism should seriously consider avoiding soy products, and predicts the current promotion of soy as a health food will result in an increase in thyroid disorders."

Could be what happened to Oprah. Bob is having her eat to much soy.

Debate on,

Connie Lynn
  • zenmama
    Options
    I agree with the diet industry making us fat...as for the Vegetarian being fat yes those who do not know how to balance a veg diet tend to rely on other food groups and not becoming or doing the vegetarian thing right. I was a vegetarian for over 20 years, and it took a while to ge the hang of it. As for the tofu anything can be "too" much...moderation is key!

dd
  • filergirl
    Options
    I bet you Oprah just ate too much, period.

I've been eating soy products nearly every day since starting to diet and I have lost 10 lbs.
  • filergirl
    Options
    Wonder if this is the same "Dr. Mike Fitzpatrick." Sounds like a bit of a quack to me.

http://www.gmwatch.org/profile1.asp?PrId=141
  • filergirl
    Options
    And, Fitzpatrick is called a 'leading expert' by the woman who quoted him in her book -- a book she is trying to sell. Hmm.

More digging reveals the same doctor (whose CV I have not found online -- from what university did he graduate? What are his credentials?) has ties to something called IOI -- the Institue of Ideas, which bills itself as a democratic forum that supports, among other things, the development of genetically modified foods. Primary source of funding for IOL? Pharmaceutical industry, among them, Novartis.

From what I've read in the last five minutes, I'd say you can discount both these articles.

If anyone can find a reliable study (published in a refereed science or medical journal) that says soy is bad for you, please post it here. Don't want anymore estrogen in my system. Lord knows the Pill is enough!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I seriously doubt any one got fat eating edamame - but processed foods - you bet!

Oh, and like everything, be careful who you listen to - that in moderation as well. :flowerforyou:
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Hi there,

That is why I put this question out there.

It is important to have all the facts.

I just don't want something that raises my estrogen level and if it is proven that it does this as well as affects our thyroids then it is something to further research.

Anyone had problems with soy? That is my question.

If it has not been harmful to anyone, then we are good to go.

Thanks,

Connie Lynn
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It is scientifically proven fact that for men, eating soy is NOT good. Soy contains phyto-estrogens and reduces secondary male characteristics and decreases fertility.
    Like everything else in this country, the growth of the Soy industry is very politically and $$$$ motivated. Depending on who is in congress at the time, and who has the money to support them, various crops rotate in and out of vogue. I offer these very interesting articles for those who would like to know more. There is also a great book called "Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health" that I recommend reading.
    http://www.healingcrow.com/soy/soy.html
    http://www.foodpolitics.com/pages/foodpolitics.htm
  • filergirl
    Options
    It is scientifically proven fact that for men, eating soy is NOT good. Soy contains phyto-estrogens and reduces secondary male characteristics and decreases fertility.
    Like everything else in this country, the growth of the Soy industry is very politically and $$$$ motivated. Depending on who is in congress at the time, and who has the money to support them, various crops rotate in and out of vogue. I offer these very interesting articles for those who would like to know more. There is also a great book called "Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health" that I recommend reading.
    http://www.healingcrow.com/soy/soy.html
    http://www.foodpolitics.com/pages/foodpolitics.htm

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am with you Fatboy I will check that out as well. As for the good Dr. Fitzy I will see if he shows up on our Data Base here.
    WOW...
    The very first MFP MYTH BUSTERS! :wink: :laugh:
    --Diann...
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple more:

http://iangoddard.net/soy.htm
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303160,00.html

I don't think eating small amounts of soy are going to hurt anyone, but contrary to popular belief, even the Asian countries do not consume as much soy as we have begun to consume in this country, and of that, most of it is fermented, so that some of the effects of "fresh" or unfermented soy are mitigated.
    Cowboy