Kauai vacation or any vacation for that matter

Options
AdaireB
AdaireB Posts: 6 Member
We'll be going to Kauai in April and I was wondering if anyone about any particular foods I should STAY AWAY from so I don't gain weight. I'm sure exercise won't be a problem because we will be swimming, snorkeling, hiking, etc.

Replies

• AdaireB
    Options
    We'll be going to Kauai in April and I was wondering if anyone about any particular foods I should STAY AWAY from so I don't gain weight. I'm sure exercise won't be a problem because we will be swimming, snorkeling, hiking, etc.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    No suggestions but I hope you have a wonderful time. :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • AdaireB
    Options
    Thank you! It was just going to be me and my husband, but my 16 yo son is on spring break so he's going too. I think it will be really fun to watch him learn how to surf! Plus my husband will have someone to snorkel with. I think I might chicken out! :noway:
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about what you are eating. Most likely you'll be walking everywhere that it won't really matter. I ate a ton of fruit though. Just make sure that what you do eat you eat it moderately.

You should definitly try snorkling. It is so much fun. I am usually terrifed of the ocean and hate going to the beach, but when we went to Maui in Oct. I decided I would try it and I fell in :love: instantly. It was so awesome. All I wanted to do the rest of the trip was snorkle.

I hope you have a great time.
  • AdaireB
    Options
    You ladies are so awesome :happy: Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will give the snorkeling a chance, so long as there's no sharks! :blushing:

And congratulations on you weight losses! That's tremendous!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    AdaireB - Where in Kauai are you going to be staying? My family has a time share there in Lihue. Everything is so beautiful there!

Definitely stay away from those chocolate covered macadamia nuts, Lappert's ice cream, and guava nectar! But DEFINITELY get as much fresh fruit as you can. The pineapple and mangoes are amazing!

Have a great time and burn some extra calories swimming and walking around that gorgeous island!
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I've been to Hawaii a couple times. One great thing is that the seafood is usually very fresh and so are the fruits & veggies. Maybe it was just in my head, but I thought everythings tasted better and fresher than here. Maybe I was just influenced by the great surroundings. Have a wonderful time. I'm jealous! I've been to Maui and Oahu, but never Kauai.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    You're going to have a great time. The great thing about a Hawaiian vacation is that it's SO not about the food. Honestly the food isn't that great, so my honest advice is to just keep it fresh. Pineapple, mangos are amazing. Also you can get really fresh fish.

Aim yourself toward the good stuff.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've been to Hawaii a couple times. One great thing is that the seafood is usually very fresh and so are the fruits & veggies. Maybe it was just in my head, but I thought everythings tasted better and fresher than here. Maybe I was just influenced by the great surroundings. Have a wonderful time. I'm jealous! I've been to Maui and Oahu, but never Kauai.

Everything DID taste better there! I think it's because everything was fresh. That and, well let's face it, you're in Hawaii! It doesn't get any better than that!
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    AdaireB - Where in Kauai are you going to be staying? My family has a time share there in Lihue. Everything is so beautiful there!

Definitely stay away from those chocolate covered macadamia nuts, Lappert's ice cream, and guava nectar! But DEFINITELY get as much fresh fruit as you can. The pineapple and mangoes are amazing!

Have a great time and burn some extra calories swimming and walking around that gorgeous island!
    hey juliebean my parents also have a timeshare in Lihue its Pona Kai we went sept 07 and loved it! its so beautiful there, planning on going back next year!
  • loser4real
    loser4real Posts: 102
    Options

Yep, those mac nuts definitely have some serious cals (and fat!), but oh so yummy. (Drools at the though of mac nut pancakes from Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a).

Need to stay away from those malasadas too (deep fried portuguese donuts dusted in sugar).

I grew up on Kauai and am looking forward to going home in July. I intend to enjoy very moderate portions of all the 'comfort foods' I grew up with but will not go overboard. :smile:

BTW I have to agree with the others, the fresh tropical fruit is unbelievably good. Mangoes won't be in season when you go though, too bad. But still a ton of fresh guavas, lilikois, and pineapple to eat! Yum!!!
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options

Yep, those mac nuts definitely have some serious cals (and fat!), but oh so yummy. (Drools at the though of mac nut pancakes from Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a).

Need to stay away from those malasadas too (deep fried portuguese donuts dusted in sugar).

I grew up on Kauai and am looking forward to going home in July. I intend to enjoy very moderate portions of all the 'comfort foods' I grew up with but will not go overboard. :smile:

BTW I have to agree with the others, the fresh tropical fruit is unbelievably good. Mangoes won't be in season when you go though, too bad. But still a ton of fresh guavas, lilikois, and pineapple to eat! Yum!!!
    OMG i went to kountry kitchen and those macadamin pancakes was YUMMY