How much $ to give as wedding gift?

Misiaxcore
Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
edited October 7 in Chit-Chat
So one of my high school friends is getting married this weekend, and I have noooo idea how much to give lol.

Originally, she wanted me to play some songs on the keyboard as her "gift," but I was unable to learn the songs in time (I also suspect she only invited me for that reason, because she didn't invite many friends who always seemed like they were really close to her).

We've been friends since 2004 (gr. 9), not super close, although our closeness has varied through the years.

She moved to Alberta in the summer (we're from Ontario) and we haven't kept in much contact since.

She lives with her finace in Alberta, so they have everything they need house-wise.

I'm 21, a student (my last semester of my undergrad) and going to graduate school in the fall.

My car is breaking down and will need to buy a new one sometime soon (though not sure when).

Also my boyfriend was invited so he's coming with me.

The wedding itself is small and low-budget from what I can tell. The reception is going to be at a restaurant. I took a peak at the prices of entrees and the meals are roughly $20 each.

My mom and all of my Polish relatives say to give $100, my one Canadian friend who is married said she and her husband give $50 for friends and $100 for family (from both, not each). Sooooo I have no clue!

ETA: My boyfriend also said to give $50-60, and he agreed to split the cost because he has full time job, and I'm a student x)

Replies

• Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,304 Member
    I've given $25 to a coworker that I wasn't really friends with at her wedding and $100 from a me and a bf (at the time) to one of my best friends. It's what you are comfortable with, really. I know my wedding wasn't about the gifts, I actually discouraged any so I can't imagine she will be tallying what everyone gives and publicly embarrassing them if they don't give enough. :laugh: Just go, have some fun, be a part of their special day, and give what you can towards their future happiness. :flowerforyou:
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Give what you can afford. I try and give at least what it would cost the bride and groom for myself and my husband. And here in Jersey everything is expensive so I generally give between $150 and $200. But if like you said it's going to be at an affordable restaurant. Maybe $75 if you can afford it?
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    $50 for a friend seems perfectly fine to me. Giving what you can afford is always the best way to go, especially when this isn't even a best friend or family member.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Get her a nice card and say in honor of her wedding a donation of $100 in her name has been made to The Human Fund
This discussion has been closed.