Itchy thighs when walking or jogging?

Options
It NEVER fails. Whenever I set out for a solid walk or decent jog, and I hit my stride... My thighs start to feel like they are on FIRE. Itching so intense it brings me to tears.

Any ideas what causes this? Perhaps it is a friction problem?

Anyone else deal with this?

Replies

• Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I get itchy on my lower back, it's really annoying wanting to scratch in the middle of jogging. I'd like to know what causes it to.
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i have no idea what causes it but it happens to me too. but only the first 1 - 2 times I run after I've stopped training for a long time. I HATE that feeling though, it makes me want to peel the skin off my legs.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Your capillaries are likely expanding as they fill with blood.... if you are coming off of a sedentary lifestyle. It happened to me when I started running again. It shouldn't last too long (if that is the cause).
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My daughter gets itchy legs when she stands in one place for a while, and it's a circulation issue. Any chance that could be it?
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its increased blood flow to that area that causes this. it has something to do with increase and decrease in the size of the capillaries. especially if its cold.

it really could be caused by anything. dry skin, clothes rubbing.

usually if its because of the blood flow thing, its due to working out after a period of inactivity. It SHOULD go away with a few more days of exercise.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Skin glide! Works like a charm!
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i so get that.... its awful.... i think it's our "fat" moving around..... lol...... its so so itchy.... i scratch till my thighs are so red, i can't stand it...
  • selujj13
    Options
    I always figured it was the blood circulating around the FAT lol. After a short lay off my first workout back im itchy as heck!
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    its increased blood flow to that area that causes this. it has something to do with increase and decrease in the size of the capillaries. especially if its cold.

it really could be caused by anything. dry skin, clothes rubbing.

usually if its because of the blood flow thing, its due to working out after a period of inactivity. It SHOULD go away with a few more days of exercise.

thanks for the info... i had no idea....
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I used to get 'the itch' on my back where I had large pockets of fat.

Just keep working out. I know it's annoying, and sometimes it can be painful, and it doesn't help the mental game either (exercise is 90% mental!) but keep exercising and getting into shape and it'll go away. Promise. =)
  • LornaB23
    LornaB23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only person that got this.
    It happens when I run only. I can do every other cardio exercise and it doesn't bother me but when I run it is my thighs or my stomach area. But it always disappeared if I ran more frequently.
    Thanks for the info!
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I had no idea.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd throw this out there as a possibility. You could have exercise urticaria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_urticaria
    Which is a form of cholinergic urticaria:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinergic_urticaria

I have it, and it happened when I was thin, and it still happens now. Regular exercise seems to keep it from being so intense. Not really much to be done about it other than dressing so you're not trapping in body heat.
  • cjones0992
    cjones0992 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I suffer from that also! Even when I workout regularly.....it never fails. 15-20 min into running or walking, I get the itch mainly in my thighs and buttocks area. When I researched it online, it said that if you are sedentary and then begin exercising, the capillaries in your body have to expand in order to support the increased blood flow, which can feel very itchy. Even after staying active, I still suffer. The clothes you wear while working out could contribute to it also. I plan on investing in some new workout clothes to see if it helps. And I can't say that I'm in great shape, that's a work in progress right now, but maybe when I get to that point the itching will stop?
  • phill8345
    Options
    I used to suffer from it until I began doing targeted exercises regularly. There is a science to why we itch when we run.

http://www.legsitchwhenirun.com
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinergic_urticaria
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Me too! Mostly when I run. Annoying. It usually goes a way though. It seems to happen less when I have on legging that are tighter vs sweat pants or shorts. I thought it was caused by the friction of the fabric moving around, but maybe not.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oh My Lanta! I know what you mean!!! It's about 500x worse in the dry winter! Last time I walked outside for a while I wore long johns under my jeans and it helped.