Too much working out or not enough sleep?

Options
Hello all, I wanted to share an issue I've been having lately and maybe get some of your input on it.

This morning I was REALLY struggling to complete my regular workout using my "Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012" Kinect game, and it seems to be a trend. Over the past week (which would be four workouts including this morning) I have been having a harder and harder time keeping up and REALLY have to push to finish my normal 45 minutes.

This morning was particularly bad because when I was done, I didn't feel like my normal worn out but good self. Instead I felt weak in the knees and ended up on all fours focusing on breathing and NOT vomiting for a good five minutes or so but the rest of the day I felt fine.

To give you a little more background my workouts are between 40 to 45 minutes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On the days that I workout I wake up at 5:30am but I never get to bed before 11pm and sometimes not until almost midnight. I regularly take in right around 3,000 calories a day and drink 7 to 8 cups of water on Tuesdays and Thursdays and 11 cups on workout days starting with 3 cups that I drink during my workouts. Weekends my eating habits are all over the map and I don't drink water like I do during the week. My food diary is public so if you're curious enough feel free to check it out, in case you see a trend that might help explain my situation.

So here's my question, should I take a break for a while? I'm wondering if I'm pushing myself and if I should just completely lay off for a while, or if I should maybe do shorter, less strenuous workouts. I really hesitate to stop completely because I feel it would only be that much harder when I start again.

Anyhoo, I'm curious to her the opinion of my fellow MFP users.

Replies

• SteveO390
    SteveO390 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I should also tell you that I am 5'10" 160lbs and 36 years old. I started this routine back in February of last year and haven't stopped (with the exception of two weeks when I came down with the flu) since. When I started I weighed 185 and by July I weighed what I weigh now.
  • starskita
    starskita Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    did u realise that too much water is bad for u? you should really be doing 8 glasses a day and u dont need more than that.
    I'm not a doctor.... but have u tried having extra sleep...maybe it was your body telling you that you need to slow down.
    But thats just my opinion, i'm just guessing :)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    did u realise that too much water is bad for u? you should really be doing 8 glasses a day and u dont need more than that.
    I'm not a doctor.... but have u tried having extra sleep...maybe it was your body telling you that you need to slow down.

I disagree with the statement about the water. I try to drink 11 cups everyday whether I work out or not. I personally need to sleep a good 9 hours a night to be able to work out more than 60 minutes a day. You should try to get in some more sleep and see if that helps you. I wouldn't stop completely but maybe go a little easier and see how your body responds.
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I feel that way when I'm fighting a virus. Usually after a few days it either passes or I'm fully sick (and done wondering why the tired hit so hard). I'd give it another week, and if it doesn't pass, see a doctor.
  • starskita
    Options
    each to there own i guess but 8-11 isnt heaps....but i saw someone on here had 52!!!

Drinking too much water....
    Initial symptoms include having to urinate, and vomiting.

Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes.

Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolyte. Death can result.
  • starskita
    Options
    if i was you SteveO i would just rest up abit and see how u go
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    if you are having issues with finishing workouts you've done countless times before, perhaps there is a medical condition or issue going on. I would suggest you see your doctor for a 'check up'. There could be heart issues going on.

I dont think working out 45 mins a day is too much working out. Yes sleep can affect your help. Sleep heals us and renews us. But I am not sure if this is THE problem. As I said, if you are having that much trouble finishing a video game 'workout', I suggest you see your doctor before you continue with the workouts.

ps..water intoxication is a rare condition. Can you drink too much water and have negative effects..yes..but its rare and most common in infants and marathon runners. Its also not about how much you drink, but how fast. Drinking 12 glasses of water over the course of a day is perfectly ok.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

not everyone agrees that 8 glasses a day is ideal. and even if it was ideal it would be for a normal day. if you spend the day exercising in the sun you are going to need a lot more than 8 glasses a day.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Ok please don't take this the wrong way but I don't think you are fueling your body correctly and adequately to get through your workouts. There is like no vegetables or fruit at all, processed foods, etc. No good fats. I would not be able to get through my workouts only having had frosted flakes.

If you aren't picky I recommend branching out and trying oatmeal, Greek yogurt, eggs, bacon, vegetables, less alcohol and processed foods.

Oh and I drink about 96oz of water a day and have been for years. No issues.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I wanted to share an issue I've been having lately and maybe get some of your input on it.

This morning I was REALLY struggling to complete my regular workout using my "Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012" Kinect game, and it seems to be a trend. Over the past week (which would be four workouts including this morning) I have been having a harder and harder time keeping up and REALLY have to push to finish my normal 45 minutes.

This morning was particularly bad because when I was done, I didn't feel like my normal worn out but good self. Instead I felt weak in the knees and ended up on all fours focusing on breathing and NOT vomiting for a good five minutes or so but the rest of the day I felt fine.

To give you a little more background my workouts are between 40 to 45 minutes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On the days that I workout I wake up at 5:30am but I never get to bed before 11pm and sometimes not until almost midnight. I regularly take in right around 3,000 calories a day and drink 7 to 8 cups of water on Tuesdays and Thursdays and 11 cups on workout days starting with 3 cups that I drink during my workouts. Weekends my eating habits are all over the map and I don't drink water like I do during the week. My food diary is public so if you're curious enough feel free to check it out, in case you see a trend that might help explain my situation.

So here's my question, should I take a break for a while? I'm wondering if I'm pushing myself and if I should just completely lay off for a while, or if I should maybe do shorter, less strenuous workouts. I really hesitate to stop completely because I feel it would only be that much harder when I start again.

Anyhoo, I'm curious to her the opinion of my fellow MFP users.
    IMO, lack of rest. You SHOULD be getting 7-8 hours of rest to function normally and recover.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Go with your gut feeling...usually that is the answer
    you yourself question taking a break, sounds like you are certainly over due
    Personally, I'd take an entire day off everything.....work, workouts... and just SLEEP!
    Rent a motel room if you can and just completely check out for ONE day... and enjoy your time off like it was a day in heaven
    see how you feel after that.
  • adjones5
    Options
    each to there own i guess but 8-11 isnt heaps....but i saw someone on here had 52!!!

Drinking too much water....
    Initial symptoms include having to urinate, and vomiting.

Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes.

Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolyte. Death can result.

Yes, water intoxication exists, I just don't think it would be likely for someone who drinks 11 cups of water and spends 45 minutes working out.
  • vs1023
    Options
    I'm in bed by 12-1am, sleep til 7:30, have 2 kids, work and still can exercise. I think diet plays a role, whole foods. Sleep is important but so is what you put in your body.
  • starskita
    Options
    no not with 11 as i stated.... i was saying too much like the guy that i mentioned who had a crazy amount of 52...lol

i sometimes struggle getting in my 8 if its not summer!

but yes steveo i sometimes get dizzy in the morning when i havent had enough sleep.
  • adjones5
    Options
    no not with 11 as i stated.... i was saying too much like the guy that i mentioned who had a crazy amount of 52...lol

i sometimes struggle getting in my 8 if its not summer!

but yes steveo i sometimes get dizzy in the morning when i havent had enough sleep.

I think if I drank 52 cups of water I would explode.
  • starskita
    Options
    i think i would too.... or at least be peeing for a week..lol
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Do you eat at all before your workout? Maybe half a banana with some peanut butter on it or something?

My sleep schedule is about the same, in bed between 11-12 and up at 5:30. And I have an insomniac husband and son, so sometimes I only get a 3-4 hours of sleep dealing with them. But everybody is different. Your body may have an easier time if you follow the same schedule each day, rather than only on a few days. Start heading to bed a bit earlier and get up at the same time each day, see if that makes a difference.

Do you do any other workouts that you could contrast? Maybe do some yoga on your off days and see how you feel after a lighter workout.

Take your resting pulse first thing when you wake up in the morning and track it for a while. Days that it jumps up, dial your workout back a bit or take a rest day.

What settles your stomach down when you start feeling sick? This could be a clue to what is causing it. Does it feel better when you rest? Lay down? Eat or drink something?

Pam
  • SteveO390
    SteveO390 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow! A lot great replies, thank you to all of you for insight. I think I should add that the reason for the sleep schedule is because I have a three year old and my wife often doesn't get home from work until late so we don't start our bath time-putting PJ's on-reading stories-and going to bed schedule until 9 and if he decides to put up a fight (which is rare, but still) well, lets just say it can take a while.

I agree that I don't eat the best but I find it difficult to find the time for making bacon, eggs, and such in the morning. Actually for a while I was eating plain oatmeal, with a little sugar and fresh cut strawberries, a banana, a string cheese and Fage 2% greek yogurt with the little fruit cup on the side for breakfast but I found it too time consuming and annoying to deal with all that in the morning, let alone actually cooking bacon and eggs. I don't mean to defend my poor eating habits it's just what I've come to out of convenience and the fact that I still lost weight eating this way had me thinking "what the hell".

I actually don't eat anything before I workout, I literally get up, get dress, stretch, fire up the Xbox and TV, put down my mat, pull out my weights and get started. I could see working in eating a banana with peanut butter first though, two things I REALLY like and easy enough to put together.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

3 - 4 liters a day over here, for the last year, so far no negative side effects other than peeing for 2 min straight.
  • vs1023
    Options
    Wow! A lot great replies, thank you to all of you for insight. I think I should add that the reason for the sleep schedule is because I have a three year old and my wife often doesn't get home from work until late so we don't start our bath time-putting PJ's on-reading stories-and going to bed schedule until 9 and if he decides to put up a fight (which is rare, but still) well, lets just say it can take a while.

I agree that I don't eat the best but I find it difficult to find the time for making bacon, eggs, and such in the morning. Actually for a while I was eating plain oatmeal, with a little sugar and fresh cut strawberries, a banana, a string cheese and Fage 2% greek yogurt with the little fruit cup on the side for breakfast but I found it too time consuming and annoying to deal with all that in the morning, let alone actually cooking bacon and eggs. I don't mean to defend my poor eating habits it's just what I've come to out of convenience and the fact that I still lost weight eating this way had me thinking "what the hell".

I actually don't eat anything before I workout, I literally get up, get dress, stretch, fire up the Xbox and TV, put down my mat, pull out my weights and get started. I could see working in eating a banana with peanut butter first though, two things I REALLY like and easy enough to put together.

I can understand the time consuming part. My husband always says my meals are so complicated.. LOL. Since that's the case I'd do like the Fage with protein powder, banana with PB or almond butter or an apple with almond butter or some cheese, some almonds and a string cheese, ezekiel bread and almond butter.

Before my workouts I've been having oatmeal with protein powder thrown in and it helps me get through the workout really well.