GRRRR So Frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
I don't know if my expectations are too high or if I am doing something(s) wrong. I started this journey on Sept. 3 and have only lost 24 pounds. I am 5'3 and 167 (SW on MFP 191), not even loosing a pound a week. I have changed my calories up and down, changed my work outs, and work out 5 to 6 days a week for at least an hour. I watch my fat and especially saturated fat intake because I have VERY high cholesterol. I worry that maybe I am getting my HR up too high during workouts, between 150/160 I don't want to go anaerobic but have had conflicting advice/opinions on how high my HR should be. I just don't know if this is "normal" (for me) or if I am doing something wrong. It just seems to be taking soooo long.
Peace! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't know if my expectations are too high or if I am doing something(s) wrong. I started this journey on Sept. 3 and have only lost 24 pounds. I am 5'3 and 167 (SW on MFP 191), not even loosing a pound a week. I have changed my calories up and down, changed my work outs, and work out 5 to 6 days a week for at least an hour. I watch my fat and especially saturated fat intake because I have VERY high cholesterol. I worry that maybe I am getting my HR up too high during workouts, between 150/160 I don't want to go anaerobic but have had conflicting advice/opinions on how high my HR should be. I just don't know if this is "normal" (for me) or if I am doing something wrong. It just seems to be taking soooo long.

6 pounds a month is amazing, congratulations!
    Also, have you tried a balance between weights/strength training and cardio? Cardio all day every day won't help you get results, but mixing it up like that could benefit you!

But honestly, I think you are on an awesome, healthy track! 1-2lbs average a week is perfect.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Great progress. 150-160 doesn't sound high at all unless you're old. 1-2 lbs per week is great progress. You likely didn't get fat overnight so don't expect to get fit overnight as well.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thats great progress. I lose about .2lbs a week.
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have just got started on this, so no real advice from me. But, hey, wow!! Congrats on those 24 pounds!!! Hang in there, I think as long as you are moving in the right direction, it's all good. I am going to lose 30 pounds and I hope that by August or September I'll be there.
  • heatherkwilliams
    heatherkwilliams Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try less carbs!
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You may have just hit a plateau for the time being. You've done great, don't beat yourself up for ONLY losing 24 lbs. That's phenomenal! Try mixing up the workouts. Our bodies get used to the workouts we're doing, so try adding in some weight lifting or a fun group fit class. And also, overworking yourself is possible, make sure you have some rest days in there. HR around the 150-160 range sounds good to me...depends on your resting HR. You got this!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'd consider working out less and eating more for a couple days to see if that might shock your system a bit. Change up your routine, do some different things and see what happens.

On the bright side, YOU LOST 24 POUNDS! That's wonderful! That's about 3 newborn babies! :)

Keep up the good work, you WILL get there.

Love and Alohas,
    ihilani Kapuniai
  • lizziterlizzi
    Options
    That is amazing! You should keep doing what you are doing, your body is probably adjusting to the new workouts so maybe switching up your routine at the gym every now and then will keep your body guessing and burning calories.
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 pounds since August and I'm thrilled. Women our age simply aren't going to lose fast. Just keep in mind that the rate you're losing is sustainable and maintainable. You are heading in the right direction. You are doing things right. Breathe in, then out, and keep on making progress at the pace your body is willing to.
  • empresslove13
    empresslove13 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    24 lbs is amazing. you might even try to eliminate some acid forming foods from your diet for a few weeks. that always seems to help my body start to process excess again. maybe try to eliminate gluten dairy and sugar for 1 month.. increase veggies and water and stock up on vitamins and omega 3's.
  • peaceinside
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise and opinions! Laughing and crying right now! I appreciate all of it and being able to be a part of this community! I know I am probably in a slump and need to pull up my emotional boot straps and get over this. ((((HUGS)))) to all of you!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but you should be watching your carb intake. Lower your carbs and raise your fibre intake and that will help a lot. Also you say you work out, you might not be eating enough to lose weight...I know its weird but all the research I have done points to that. last week while I was not working out I lost 7 lbs by eating 1300-1600 calories. This week with the same diet + workout I am stalled, it is because I am only getting 800-1000 calories a day when I get my net calories. Still testing this week but next week I think I will bump my calorie intake to 2000 a day with 500-600 calories burned through workout a day.