Pain in the Butt

Options
So ever since I've started lifting weights, I sleep like garbage. I wake up in the middle of the night because my muscles feel like I have been running from tigers all night, as opposed to snuggling under a duvet. If my husband asks me to move, I get super grumpy because there are about 4 contorted positions i sleep in to make the crampiness lessen. None of these existed prior to my weight lifting.

What's the deal?

I'm trying to lose weight/gain muscle, so I dont exactly chug an 500 calorie protein shake after the gym, but I will have some type of protein after working out. Usually this is 1/2 of a sloow shake and then a dinner of meat and meat accessories.

Any ideas?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    well since darn hard to gain muscle and lose fat the same time, i'd say that is one of your issues.

the cramps have nothing to do with protein intake. more often than not cramps are caused by not drinking enough water and/or not intaking enough calcium or potassium.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest is potassium. I know that helps with cramping. Have a banana before or after your workout, or add it to your shake that you mentioned! Great job on the weight lifting!! I'm just getting into that. Slowly. LOL! GL!!!
  • toxicasylum
    Options
    You may want to drink more water to lessen the cramps.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    Cramps or sore muscles? When my muscles are super sore (like now) I sleep with a heating pad. Lots of water helps with cramps, but for me, those are totally different than sore muscles from lifting. I will get a cramp in my calf so bad sometimes (and only at night) that I can't even move my leg until it eases up.
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love that "worked" muscle feeling, makes me realise I have succeeded in stimulating muscle growth.

Dont get worked and sore muscles mixed up. Worked muscles can be used a couple of days later, sore muscles should be rested till recovery. You may be over working the muscles and going over to the sore side.

BTW: Muscle building will add weight. Muscle increases and fat decreases and as muscle weighs more that fat you may gain weight (which is a good thing).
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    sorry to be unclear - im talking about soreness i suppose. maybe because i am sort of new at weight lifting i dont know the difference between worked and sore. as far as water goes, im drinking over 2 liters a day.

and hard to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? do you have any evidence to back that up? weight training is one of the best ways to lose fat. i realize i will get heavier first but that is a non issue as i am starting to drop inches. and i cant imagine going from 55lb squat to 111lb squat is from anything but muscle growth.
  • lefebvre002
    Options
    Yes. creatine helps with the pain. It's something your body produces when it's younger thats why teens recover so much quicker. But I kick box hard and lift weights and spin twice a day and sitting on the toilet (bit of information over load) got to be a challenge. So, I take 2 before I work out and 2 after and 2 before bed. On my hard days, cut back when I'm not working out so hard. I go heavy on one or two weeks and than go light for a week...see if it helps
  • lefebvre002
    Options
    OH and the cramps...well that's because you don't have enough blood flow through your veins...I have had severe cramps and the cure for those are to make sure you get your blood flowing. So if you are lifting hard you need to do a light run or something light and fast to get that blood flowing. Get the lactate going. So, if you are in a spin class and you work hard on power you must also go fast and light to get the blood flowing again. Prevents soreness and fatigue. Make sense?
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    YES!! thank you so much!!!
  • Maychurro
    Maychurro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eat Bananas, My son gets growing pains and they really help him.