What do you do when you're feeling discouraged?

Options
Today was a very hard day for me. My eating was fairly good, and I still came in under my calorie goal, but I'm experiencing my first bout of real discouragement (probably due to a small loss this week after a long plateau and the combination of several other small factors). Some days you feel like your goals are within reach, but today wasn't one of those days. Feeling a bit better now, but I'm just wondering what other people do when they're feeling down about their weight loss goals. Any advice?

Replies

• Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I think its a daily battle honestly.

I do some random stuff

Working out really hard makes me feel like I obtained some goal.

Engaging in sexual activity is also a very big confidence booster not to mention endorphins.

Setting a daily goal or going back and looking at older fatter pictures helps too.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i think about what i have achieved. yesterday was terrible for me due to various reasons i ended up making really bad food choices and really aggravated an injury which may mean a few weeks on the sidelines, i was feeling really bad about myself, so i picked apart what i had done that day, it turns out that the mile i ran was one of my fastest yet, which gave me a huge boost and despite a crap day yesterday loaded with sodium i still managed to lose almost half a pound this week.

i don't know what you have been doing but i bet its not all doom and gloom there will be positives in there, and looking at your ticker that 11lb loss should keep you going, you achieved that and its something to be proud of, don't forget that
  • hadlam
    hadlam Posts: 90
    Options
    I pull out the dress I really really really wanna fit into and try and remind myself why I'm doing it :D
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Really discouraged today. I have a bad, bad cold type thing. Couldn't exercise. Plied myself with chicken soup (too much salt) and juice (too much sugar) to keep the fever down. Wanted to "treat" myself. Looked down at a sheet of paper I found recently where I recorded the start of my weight loss journey in 2006. Remembered that I have lost over 15" from my waist alone in those five years. That measurement symbolizes many health victories. So I'll forgo the treats and staying the course I'm keeping that sheet with my measurements right by my computer now. It may have to go on the refrigerator.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Look at how far you have come. Your improvement in your health, fitness and appearance. Refocus to where you want to be.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I try to remember past successes and how good I felt about myself at the time, then try to anticipate the same feeling towards the goal I am working on. Laughing is also a wonderful way to get over it and lose a few calories.