Cooking Rice Measurements HELP

Options
Is one cup of rice or 100g of rice referring to rice that is cooked or uncooked.

Do I do my measurements as I am preparing the rice or when I am putting it on the plate.

Obviously rice is bigger and heavier once it has water added.

Thanks.

Replies

• xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    when u search for rice type in rice raw or cooked and that way u can pick the one u want and that is made for that weight.
  • lucy1945
    lucy1945 Posts: 153
    Options
    i would say (if you are talking about logging it in your calories and the description doesn't specify cooked or uncooked), i would say 1 cup would be cooked rice.

1/2 dry = 1 cup cooked

i can help you more if i didn't answer your question completely
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I log my rice in cups, uncooked. I just find the proper "food" in the database for that. Most entries are for uncooked, though.
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I always log mine cooked- it's easier for me to measure it out as I'm plating it. Also, definitely pay attention to the description- it should specify raw or cooked.

If you're still unsure, look at the nutrition info on the packaging and pick whichever search result matches it closest.
  • lucy1945
    lucy1945 Posts: 153
    Options
    i agree with the others.... with something like rice... there should be lots that specify cooked or uncooked. sometimes i look through several before i find the one that is accurate.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    remember though if you are gonna eat rice..make sure its the good rice...not bleached rice..also keep in mind that a serving of rice is 1/3 cup..that is 15grams of carbs so dont go crazy it unless you are a marathon runner..than its okay :)
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I measured this a while ago. Basmati rice, long grain rice, 'normal rice' , vermicelli rice noodles etc gain about 200% weight after cooking (i.e is three times heavier). Risotto rice gains about 300% after cooking (ie four times heavier). Measurements on packets tend to be dry weight, unless specified.

What this means is that you can cook up a large batch then take a measurement of cooked rice and you can use the dry weight written on the packet to work out calories etc.

Regards,
    J