Paleo Diet

Hi all!

I've only heard this word mentioned recently, i like the idea of eating as our ancestors did it sounds much more natural

has anyone tried this? or know of a good source of online info, diet plan etc?

Not really interested in buying the book!

:)

Replies

• Ps. i hate the word "diet" i should have rephrased that!!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    the paleo diet is basically a low carb diet.

its really just another one of those 'fad' diets. it stresses eating meats, fruits and veg. but no grains or beans.
    it falsely states its a 'stone-age' type diet. one our ancestors ate. Since this diet stresses a lot of meat it isnt really an ancestoral diet. As back in the 'stone-age' we did not intake great amounts of meat. When we say caveman diet, or caveman we see images of the feral hairy man with the club who beats animals etc. The facts are, that yes we did hunt, small game during that time. Our diets mainly consisted of fruits, berries and nuts. They may not have eaten meat every day, or even once a week.

plus the paleo diet says you must eat 'organic' meats, grass fed, no anti biotics. Same with the fruits and veg you eat. This can become expensive and hard to come by. This means eating nothing that is processed.
    its an erroneous diet..and its just that a diet.

ps..our phisiology has changed as our diets have changed. we went from a primarily vegetarian diet to almost primarly carnivorous. around 10 thou years ago we developed agriculture. This changed our diets, which in turn has changed our phisiology.
  • heres the wikipedia link

not a suggested diet as it ranks the worst every years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet
  • You can find all the recipes online. Sometimes people will say it's not really "Paleo."

I like it because it has a lot of gluten-free and dairy free recipes. So It helps get some ideas without having to try and figure out how to replace things I'm allergic too. I like the meals so far. But I eat rice and potatoes too. So it's up to what you want to do.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Heaps of info - just google Paleo - and all the major sites like Rob Wolff (The Paleo Solution) and Loren Cordain's (The Paleo Diet) site will come up....

You can try and try and string it all together from reading info and articles on their sites - but if you want the end to end story (with eating plans etc) buying The Paleo Solution is really the best option.....

Similar you can also look at the The Primal Bueprint (Mark's Daily Apple)
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    I love eating Paleo. It's tricky at first because one has to be creative with meals but once you find good recipes it's easy to follow. I feel so good on it. Basically it's no grains, legumes, or dairy. No processed foods. And it's not mainly meat. It's about 50% meat. Some days I only eat meat in one meal.
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    I love eating Paleo. It's tricky at first because one has to be creative with meals but once you find good recipes it's easy to follow. I feel so good on it. Basically it's no grains, legumes, or dairy. No processed foods. And it's not mainly meat. It's about 50% meat. Some days I only eat meat in one meal. It's not a fad diet..it works for some and for others it's not for them.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    the paleo diet is basically a low carb diet.

its really just another one of those 'fad' diets. it stresses eating meats, fruits and veg. but no grains or beans.
    it falsely states its a 'stone-age' type diet. one our ancestors ate. Since this diet stresses a lot of meat it isnt really an ancestoral diet. As back in the 'stone-age' we did not intake great amounts of meat. When we say caveman diet, or caveman we see images of the feral hairy man with the club who beats animals etc. The facts are, that yes we did hunt, small game during that time. Our diets mainly consisted of fruits, berries and nuts. They may not have eaten meat every day, or even once a week.

plus the paleo diet says you must eat 'organic' meats, grass fed, no anti biotics. Same with the fruits and veg you eat. This can become expensive and hard to come by. This means eating nothing that is processed.
    its an erroneous diet..and its just that a diet.

ps..our phisiology has changed as our diets have changed. we went from a primarily vegetarian diet to almost primarly carnivorous. around 10 thou years ago we developed agriculture. This changed our diets, which in turn has changed our phisiology.

I know plenty of doctors who recommend a low-carb/paleo style dietary intake - its no 'fad' diet... its not even a diet.... And, you dont have to eat organic-this/that if you dont want to. Everyone knows how disgustingly expensive organic is.

Im damn near Paleo right now with the recommendations set by my physicians. My blood work is excellent, Ive dropped almost 70lbs and its thanks to healthy, proper portion controlled eating under the guidelines set forth by a medical professional... I know MANY people from the support group I moderate are also following their physician's recommendations which include this food-related lifestyle....