Too thin???

Options
Wasn't sure where to put this post, so correct me if I'm wrong...

...and may even follow up with a picture later, but I was shown a picture of me when I was weighing 135lbs and I was instantly told by people who have only known me while I've been very heavy that I look too thin and sick.

Ok, in the picture, I don't look very happy because of my horrible marriage at the time, but to be told that at the upper part of my healthy BMI I looked too thin and sick...what am I supposed to do now when I am trying to get back to that? I was also told by my doctor that 140 would be fine for me (in the lower part of overweight BMI for my height)...surely she's not supposed to be telling me to be in the overweight category??

I am 5ft 2inches, but I wouldn't consider myself to be small boned...probably average.

Anyone help?

Replies

• SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice, but I did want to tell you that I love your display picture :D hehe
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Im 5"1 and i'm aiming for 112lbs/105lbs... but I cant really comment without seeing what the picture is
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    check with your doctor why he says 140. also see if he has comments on the big/avg/small bonesize.

and listen to your body rather than the scale.
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    I am 5'4" and am at 132 to 134 (fluctuating with the holidays!) with medium bone structure. I started at 145 lbs with a target weight of 128 lbs however I have more muscle now than when I weighed less at earlier points in my life and now I think that where I am at is going to be fine. I think you need to set a target, go down the journey and see how you feel and look as you go and reset your target goal as you recalibrate. Don't get fixated on a number without factoring in how you feel. I had gotten fixated on the number and have waken up to the fact that really isn't what is important and you have to let it go if when you get closer it doesn't make sense.

Good Luck!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i am 5'2" and i currently weigh 127-128 lbs. I consider myself thin, but not sickly looking. Of course i have worked very hard to put on some muscle mass. I got down to 118-117 before I 'bulked', i gained 10 lbs..hopefully a lot of that muscle over the past 6 months. I still fit into my new 118 lbs skinny jeans, and really dont feel or look like i've gained 10 lbs...besides my biceps and calves looking bigger, back more defined and i can actually feel quad muscles. hehe

I dont go on BMI, it should be considered obsolete and useless. Body fat percentage is better to go on. Ultimately its about being healthy and fit. Not about the numbers on a scale.

ps..as an xray tech i can tell you, there is no such thing as big boned or smalled boned.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Only two things, either they're just not accustomed to see you at the healthy weight or it could be out of jealousy which is why they're saying those things to you but listen to your body. I'm 1.57m (I think its equal to 5'2") and medium framed. Currently I weigh 54kgs or about 119 lbs. (sorry I'm using metric units so not that familiar with your unit of measurements there) but I don't think I look sickly although those people who are accustomed to seeing me overweight do say those things to me. And those who say those things to me are overweight themselves.
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've just uploaded the picture to my profile. Red top. Tell me if I look ill!
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You definitely do not look too thin! Quite simply, you look slim and healthy!! I have seen too thin, and that ain't it! :smile:
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    you look completely fine! Not too thin at all!

I agree with the other poster, I reckon people dont feel accustomed to seeing you weigh less
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You look very well there its just hard for the people who see you now to not see you as too thin in the old photo.

I agree with the previous poster who said its all about body fat %.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Do you feel healthy/are you excercising/eating healthily and are you happy with what you see in the mirror? This is what is important.

You look great - not too thin and certainly not overwight, judging by your photo.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    that photo doesnt look too thin to me
    I think you look lovely :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

...and may even follow up with a picture later, but I was shown a picture of me when I was weighing 135lbs and I was instantly told by people who have only known me while I've been very heavy that I look too thin and sick.

Ok, in the picture, I don't look very happy because of my horrible marriage at the time, but to be told that at the upper part of my healthy BMI I looked too thin and sick...what am I supposed to do now when I am trying to get back to that? I was also told by my doctor that 140 would be fine for me (in the lower part of overweight BMI for my height)...surely she's not supposed to be telling me to be in the overweight category??

I am 5ft 2inches, but I wouldn't consider myself to be small boned...probably average.

Anyone help?

Some people just say weird stuff when it comes to weight, no idea why... You look good in that pic, and if you feel happy with that weight go for it!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I think you look really nice in that picture. :)
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    you look fine and healthy in that pic! 130 is normal for 5'2.. just do whatever makes you happy while trying to be healthy!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options

Anyone help?

I have the opposite problem of you, but I just wanted to share a 'doctor's aren't always right' moment. When I was in high school I weighed 170 (I'm 5'11) and I went to the doctor for my sports physical. She told me she'd like to see me lost anywhere between 40-60 pounds. I know what I would look like if I weighed 110 pounds at 5'11 and it's strikingly similar to a crack addict. Point being, do what you feel comfortable with. Try not to focus so much on what other people are telling you, but lose until YOU are comfortable and happy with the way that you look and feel. Try not to focus so much on the number, but more of the feelings associated with your new weight loss.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is SO COMMON.

I was 110-120 my entire life. There was about a two-year period where I gained a lot of weight (166 and size 12 at my highest). I lost down to 132. My mother, who was not concerned about my weight when I was 110, started accusing me of being anorexic at 132 (I'm 5'3").

A friend of mine started running last year. She wasn't deliberately trying to lose weight, but she lost 40 pounds. She's at the high end of her healthy BMI and looks great. She would be fine staying where she is, but I can also tell she'd look fine if she lost a few more pounds (if she wants to). People have started telling her she's too skinny and needs to stop. But she looks great!

I think a lot of people don't really know anymore what a healthy weight looks like. And those who are used to seeing you at a certain size need time to adjust to the new you. Once you've been thinner for a while, people will get used to it and stop making those comments.

You need to do what makes YOU happy.
  • savannahgur
    savannahgur Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You look great..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OK, looked at the photo. You do not look sickly or too thin in it. You look fantastic!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You don't look too thin at all, in fact I think you look fab - well toned, good posture. I do think that when people are used to seeing you a larger size that it can be a bit of a shock when they see you slim - when I told my best friend last weekend that I intend to lost about another 35lbs she was horrified and said there'd be nothing of me. I'd weigh maybe a couple of pounds less than she does and we are the same height.

People's perceptions of you can be quite different, so I'd say be happy with yourself and (to a point) ignore what anyone else thinks x