Best Low Carb food to eat at an Indian restaurant??

Options
Hi! I am going out for a curry this evening and am currently following a low carb diet. What dishes do you think would be the lowest in carbs to have (without ordering the salad lol)

I normally go for Chicken Tikka Tandoori (comes sizzling with onions), mushroom bhaji and onion bhaji when I am following Low Carb. I was just wondering if there are dishes lower in carbs that I could have instead? The menu is here: http://www.rajdouth.com/menu.htm

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Mr_Motivator42
    Mr_Motivator42 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just avoid those huge naans and I'm sure you will be ok lol!
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just avoid those huge naans and I'm sure you will be ok lol!

Plan to avoid naans and rice as well as the dishes with sauce. :)
  • gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    King Prawn Butterfly

Chicken Shashlik (assuming the veggies are grilled - it implies they are)
    Dal Tarka

The lentils may not be low carb per se, but they're low GI and should be enough to stop you "tasting" other people's curries!

I'm hungry now, and it's only 9.00!
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Tandoori grill and salad
  • Stephie_J
    Options
    Tandoori grill and salad

Some restaurants I have been to actually serve salad with the sizzling chicken tikka, but this menu doesn't mention it :(
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Tandoori grilled chicken! *yum*!!! I actually dream about this!
  • Stephie_J
    Options
    King Prawn Butterfly

Chicken Shashlik (assuming the veggies are grilled - it implies they are)
    Dal Tarka

The lentils may not be low carb per se, but they're low GI and should be enough to stop you "tasting" other people's curries!

I'm hungry now, and it's only 9.00!

HAHA! I got hungry looking at the menu and trying to see if I can find a dish with less carbs! Can a mushroom bhaji really have 11g carbs per portion?! :(

Doesn't Shashlik come in a sauce though? I thought it was best to avoid sauces on low carb as you never know what ingredients go into them?
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I second the tarka dhal and check out the chickpeas (chot poti), depending where you are on your low-carb and whether you can have some carbs. They are really good for you and may help you avoid the naans :)

Enjoy it!
  • Stephie_J
    Options
    I second the tarka dhal and check out the chickpeas (chot poti), depending where you are on your low-carb and whether you can have some carbs. They are really good for you and may help you avoid the naans :)

Enjoy it!

I only restarted my low carb on Thursday last week so am trying to keep my carb in-take quite low. I have mostly been under 20g carbs since Thursday, but I guess one day going over 20g a bit won't hurt too much?

Tarka Dhal is 28g carbs according to MFP :(
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If it was me I'd just get tandoori chicken and make them give me salad instead of rice. Failing that I always get tandoori lamb chops simply because they're AMAZING. I usually get them with salad instead or if I really can't resist having a few carbs I get a Roti or a Chapati as they're much healthier than having a naan!