Labels???

Options
I am clueless on how to read labels...I don't know what I should look for and look out for...I know looking at cals but what else??? Please help I'm so lose!!!

Hopeless,

Amanda

Replies

• GettingThin08
    Options
    I am clueless on how to read labels...I don't know what I should look for and look out for...I know looking at cals but what else??? Please help I'm so lose!!!

Hopeless,

Amanda
  • tracylynne29
    tracylynne29 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    well on here they measure fat cals, cals, carbs, protein so maybe those you should look for since those are on your goals and those are the ones you are trying not to go over or too far under
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Sodium sister .Watch you sodium.This helps you retain water weight.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Also look for foods with high fibre and low sugar. Also good to keep an eye out for sneaky trans fats. You should be getting less than a g of those a day. zero is best.
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Carbs...because whatever calories that come from carbs you don't use up for energy during the day simply get stored. I personally try to consumer more protein and fats than carbs during the day- fats being my main energy source. It also depends on how active you are.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    yup, I agree. Sugar, sodium, trans fat and look for the word "enriched" on bread. That's no good. You need to look for "Whole grain". Have a great day!:happy:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Serving size and servings per container are also important. In addition to the nutrition label, I look at the ingredients: I don't buy anything that contains the following:
    -high fructose corn syrup:sick:
    -partially hydrogenated oil:grumble:
    -artifical anything!:noway:

Good luck and keep reading!:smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Carbs...because whatever calories that come from carbs you don't use up for energy during the day simply get stored. I personally try to consumer more protein and fats than carbs during the day- fats being my main energy source. It also depends on how active you are.

correction: ANY calories you don't use are stored as fat, whether they come from carbs, fat or protein. Carbs are not something to shy away from in the least unless you have a medical issue which demands it. That said, you should make sure you're getting an appropriate balance of carbs fats and proteins (ALL of which are needed by your body)
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options

correction: ANY calories you don't use are stored as fat, whether they come from carbs, fat or protein. Carbs are not something to shy away from in the least unless you have a medical issue which demands it. That said, you should make sure you're getting an appropriate balance of carbs fats and proteins (ALL of which are needed by your body)

Sure, but it wasn't until I started eating like this (even amount of carbs and protein) that I got all cut up and my muscles began to show:-) And, I have been constipated for most of my life...protein seems to "push it out"- don't mean to be gross or anything... But, yes, balanced diet is the most important thing. And, we are all different- so what works for some of us won't work for others. And your last point is so true- it all depends on how active you are - SO TRUE!