Lifting weights but not sore?

I'm doing 8 reps with as much as I can then upping the weight for 6 reps and then upping weight for 4 reps. I'm not real sore the next day, so am I doing something wrong or do I need to change something.

Replies

• How sore do you think you should be? Is pain really an indicator of having worked effectively?
  • Are you trying to build muscle mass?
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Soreness is not an indicator of how well you have worked, dont rely on it.

What are your goals? Are you trying to gain muscle? If so you want to 'stimulate, not annihilate'.

Just to let you know, I have been lifting weights now for about seven years. I have gained almost 8st in that time, with no chemical enhancements. I can walk into the gym and look at a flat bench and my chest aches, and do 250kg sqauts and feel no pain in my legs. If you're getting bigger, stronger, heavier who cares whether you're sore or not.

Lift big,
    J

P.S holy **** just saw your ticker tape, good effort. you clearly know what your doing so dont worry about how sore you are.....
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Soreness is not an indicator of how well you have worked, dont rely on it.

What are your goals? Are you trying to gain muscle? If so you want to 'stimulate, not annihilate'.

Just to let you know, I have been lifting weights now for about seven years. I have gained almost 8st in that time, with no chemical enhancements. I can walk into the gym and look at a flat bench and my chest aches, and do 250kg sqauts and feel no pain in my legs. If you're getting bigger, stronger, heavier who cares whether you're sore or not.

Lift big,
    J

P.S holy **** just saw your ticker tape, good effort. you clearly know what your doing so dont worry about how sore you are.....

This^
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

either you won't be sore at all or just wait a day or two
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    My understanding is that the best indicator of your progress is your ability to up the weights periodically
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Just because you arent sore doesnt mean it doesnt work.
    Have you tried reverse pyramid method?
    Better reps first with heaviest weight?
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    The trainer who did Turbo Fire and Turbo Jam said people get mostly sore because their form isn't correct-its not an indicator on how well you're doing, so you probably just have really good form and doing lifting properly.
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    I want to build mass and I hit it really hard yesterday and today I dont feel anything!!!! I did as much as I could 8 reps then 6 reps then 4 rep increasing weight each time. I do see improvement but just wondering why I'm not sore the next day or two.
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Be happy you're not sore! As long as you're seeing those results, be happy with what you're doing!

The first week I started lifting, my arms were so sore I could barely lift a hair dryer, and I'm a hair stylist so that work week sucked!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    I hardly ever get sore upper body wise, lower body like every single time!

Even when cycling gear, although DOMS are less, I still don't always get sore.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I never feel it until half way through the next day.
  • I'd say the best indicator is when you are done working out and your arms and legs feel like noodles.
  • Do some good ole pushup at the end of your chest days. Try 3 sets of 20 with 20seconds rest in between. You can take more seconds rest, but try to work your way up to just 20 seconds. Don't blast em out quickly. Smooth is the way to do em. Stretch before and after chest days. Pecs are a big muscle group. God bless!
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    I'm doing 8 reps with as much as I can then upping the weight for 6 reps and then upping weight for 4 reps. I'm not real sore the next day, so am I doing something wrong or do I need to change something.

http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=7936

This is what you need to be doing.......