Exercise before or after breakfast?

Options
I seem to do a better workout in the morning after I get the oldest kids off to school. Should I exercise before I eat or should I wait for a little bit after?

Replies

• EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do mine first thing in the morning but everyone's different.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on individual preferences, but I'd have no energy to exercise if I didn't have breakfast first. Some people get an upset stomach if they eat first, though.
  • Chrisborro
    Options
    I eat when kids eat then when they go to school i exercise
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I do mine around 4 pm every day.
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast first, it helps me feel satisfied and more focused.
  • MarkHarris69
    MarkHarris69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've always been told you burn far more fat exercising in the morning before eating breakfast, however I tend to exercise better later on in the day. Personal prefrance really but if you want to avoid stitch avoid doing it before eating. A banana or energy drink should do the job.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I go before I eat. I get nauseated if I work out even a few hours after eating. I'm better on an empty stomach.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If I eat before, I feel slower, and sluggish. Also it would delay me getting out there and getting it done.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I get kids of to school and the exercise and then relax over breakfast and the paper, if I was to have breakfast before it would be very rushed
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You should eat breakfast before doing any type of exercise. This starts your metabolism, then after your work out, either eat some protein or drink a low calorie protein shake with in a hour.

This is from the mayo clinic.com:

1. Eat a healthy breakfast

If you exercise in the morning, get up early enough to eat breakfast — that may mean one to two hours before your workout. Most of the energy you got from dinner the previous night is used up by morning, and your blood sugar may be low. If you don't eat, you may feel sluggish or lightheaded when you exercise. If you plan to exercise within an hour after breakfast, eat a lighter breakfast or drink something to raise your blood sugar, such as a sports drink. Emphasize carbohydrates for maximum energy.

Good breakfast options include:

* Whole-grain cereals or bread
    * Low-fat milk
    * Juice
    * Bananas

If you're not a fan of eating in the morning before you work out, try a sports drink or have a bigger bedtime snack the night before. And remember, if you normally have coffee in the mornings, a cup or two before your workout is probably OK. Just don't try any foods or drinks for the first time before a workout, or you risk an upset stomach.
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    I always eat breakfast first, wait about an hour and then workout. :)
  • bignas76
    bignas76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always just grab a quick bite before i exercise in the morning. Examples, granola bar, protein shake, small bowl of special k. Just something to give me a little energy then i eat a protein packed meal right after.
  • alidawn81
    alidawn81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love to work out first thing in the morning... gets my day started the right way. I have a protein shake as soon as I wake up, then head to the gym after I get my husband out the door an hour later. Then have breakfast as soon as I get to work - usually something with more protein in it.
  • kmhallett
    kmhallett Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I get light headed when working out so I think I might try to eat when the kids do...hopefully this helps. I am in such a good flow I would hate to mess anything up right now!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It is entirely personal preference.

Eating breakfast does not jump start your metabolism and it's not necessary to eat before exercise however you may find that your performance changes when training fasted vs fed. BOTH are perfectly fine options and I would encourage you to try both.

As far as increasing fat burning during fasted training, this isn't really an issue until you get quite lean. Fasted cardio may help mobilize fatty acids but unless you're lean already, it's typically a non issue.

Here's a good read on this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html

In short, this is a matter of personal preference for the vast majority.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I have to workout after I eat (even if I just eat a banana before then oatmeal or eggs after). If I workout on an empty stomach I get super nauseated
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I go before I eat. I get nauseated if I work out even a few hours after eating. I'm better on an empty stomach.

I'm the same - always work out first thing when I get up and then reward myself with breakfast. It can be tough sometimes when I'm really hungry though! I go to aqua aerobics on Tuesdays at 8pm and have to eat dinner as early as I possibly can after work so I don't feel sick when exercising!
  • erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I prefer exercising before I eat anything, but sometimes I need to eat for the energy and to keep myself from getting nauseous during a good workout.
  • swainsonj
    Options
    After!
  • leestanley3
    leestanley3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Before