your take on low-carb diets

Options
I managed to gain almost 5 lbs over the course of the last few (congrats to those of you who didn't gain during the holidays :) ), and I really would like to get it off relatively quickly. I have tried carb cycling diets before, wherein I had one low-carb, one no-carb, and one high-carb day, but it was tough to maintain consistency with (especially those no carb days). Anyway experience a good deal of success with a low carb diet that incorporates eating less than 1 gram of carbs per pound of bodyweight? My fear is that I will see results but lose them the moment I reintroduce more carbs into my diet.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Following along as I'm interested as well, especially as it relates to low carb diets and high cardio workouts.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I managed to gain almost 5 lbs over the course of the last few (congrats to those of you who didn't gain during the holidays :) ), and I really would like to get it off relatively quickly. I have tried carb cycling diets before, wherein I had one low-carb, one no-carb, and one high-carb day, but it was tough to maintain consistency with (especially those no carb days). Anyway experience a good deal of success with a low carb diet that incorporates eating less than 1 gram of carbs per pound of bodyweight? My fear is that I will see results but lose them the moment I reintroduce more carbs into my diet.

Unless you have a pre existing condition that requires you to limit your carbs, a low carb diet has no metabolic advantage. Any greater weight loss seen in the beginning of a low carb diet is water weight. For adherence purposes the less the restrictive diet is prob the best imo
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree with ACG- I did low carb from september to december and didn't lose a pound. In fact- I gained 3! Back to cal counting and eating a balanced diet