Tailbone

Options
My previous tailbone injury has been flaring up of late, does anyone have this issue? I'm fine while exercising, but afterwords, the pain is intense...I'm a lap swimmer, a Zumba devotee, and a treadmill walker/jogger. I, also, use the strength machines as part of my weekly routine. I have been going at this for a couple of months now, without any tailbone issues, so not sure what else I can do besides taking ibuprofen...

Replies

• madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sadly there isnt alot you can do for a tailbone- I injured mine severly a few years ago while skating, and recently a very dear friend of mine did the same thing- and it takes forever to heal. When I hurt mine, I went to my dr bc I have serious back issues already and was concerned this would impact them- my dr was insistent If I was going to use my treadmill, not to use is with varying inclines- that puts too much pressure on it, and the impact from jogging may also be contributiing to it,

I am not a dr nor do I play one on the internets- but I saw your treadmill mention and wanted to share- its a really tough injury to heal- just give it alot of time...
  • kylashealy
    Options
    i bruised my tailbone giving birth 3 years ago. hope this doesnt happen to me :( i don't have any tips though, sorry!
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hello. I fractured my tailbone in May 2010 and it has never healed. It causes me constant discomfort, especially when trying to just relax on the sofa and sat at my desk at work!

Despite it being a constant pain, I have grown to live with it, however in the last couple of months, mine has also really begun to flare up! I have been doing a lot more classes of late, so wonder if it's down to cool downs/ab work on the floor at the end. But it's really beginning to get me down.

My doctor knows about my initial fall that caused it, but if I go back to him now, nearly 2 years later, do you think he will take any notice?!

I'm not sure what can be done about it... :-(
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sadly there isnt alot you can do for a tailbone- I injured mine severly a few years ago while skating, and recently a very dear friend of mine did the same thing- and it takes forever to heal. When I hurt mine, I went to my dr bc I have serious back issues already and was concerned this would impact them- my dr was insistent If I was going to use my treadmill, not to use is with varying inclines- that puts too much pressure on it, and the impact from jogging may also be contributiing to it,

I am not a dr nor do I play one on the internets- but I saw your treadmill mention and wanted to share- its a really tough injury to heal- just give it alot of time...

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to nix the incline for awhile...tailbone injuries are the worse...
  • cloveraz
    Options
    Hello. I fractured my tailbone in May 2010 and it has never healed. It causes me constant discomfort, especially when trying to just relax on the sofa and sat at my desk at work!

Despite it being a constant pain, I have grown to live with it, however in the last couple of months, mine has also really begun to flare up! I have been doing a lot more classes of late, so wonder if it's down to cool downs/ab work on the floor at the end. But it's really beginning to get me down.

My doctor knows about my initial fall that caused it, but if I go back to him now, nearly 2 years later, do you think he will take any notice?!

I'm not sure what can be done about it... :-(

I was thinking about asking my Nurse Practitioner for a cortisone injection, but i feel that will only mask the pain and nothing else...Tailbone injuries stink..
  • cloveraz
    Options
    i bruised my tailbone giving birth 3 years ago. hope this doesnt happen to me :( i don't have any tips though, sorry!

I hurt mine in a diving accident...I hear it is pretty common injury, while giving birth...I hope you don't have any flareups either...Good Luck!