Any ideas on how to increase my calorie intake on Low Carb?

Options
Hi, I seem to have trouble hitting my recommended daily calories (1200) while following Low Carb, any ideas on low carb foods that are higher in calories? I'm not feeling hungry every day by eating fewer calories, so I don't necessarily need bigger meals?

These are my nutrition figures so far:

Day 1 - 17g carbs | 981 Net cals
Day 2 - 18g carbs | 703 Net cals
Day 3 - 15g carbs | 894 Net cals
Day 4 - 22g carbs | 795 Net cals
Day 5 - 19g carbs | 672 Net cals

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You can cook with olive oil. It is a good fat for your diet and will add 120 calories a tbsp...

Like I fried 3 eggs in olive oil this morning... So I count it in my food diary.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nuts, and more nuts.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    any ideas on low carb foods that are higher in calories?

Full fat dairy, avocados, nuts, nut butters, bacon....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi, I seem to have trouble hitting my recommended daily calories (1200) while following Low Carb, any ideas on low carb foods that are higher in calories? I'm not feeling hungry every day by eating fewer calories, so I don't necessarily need bigger meals?

These are my nutrition figures so far:

Day 1 - 17g carbs | 981 Net cals
    Day 2 - 18g carbs | 703 Net cals
    Day 3 - 15g carbs | 894 Net cals
    Day 4 - 22g carbs | 795 Net cals
    Day 5 - 19g carbs | 672 Net cals

Why are you eating so low on carbs? add olive oil to soups and sauces. have avocado on salads and sandwiches, or as a snack. Nuts and seeds are great as well.
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Atkins protein shakes ---160 calories, 15 grams of protein and 2 net carbs and they are yummy!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    oils, butter, duck fat, fatty cuts of meat, fatty fish
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Smoked Salmon, 0 carbs, low fats, 20g protein and 120 calories in 100g.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters, healthy oils, dairy.....etc. It's really not hard.
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    boneless skinless chicken. 8 oz of great values brand has 220cals, 0 carbs, 5g fat, 40protein, 380mg sodium.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Atkins Bars& shakes, Beef jerky Carbmaster yogurt...
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    don't eat low carb, 50% of your diet is supposed to be from carbs, it is where your body gets energy, also where you get all of your vitamins and nutrients. eat healthy carbs, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, 100% whole wheat... and what people don't know is for your body to take protein into the muscle you need carbs to do that, so please don't do a low carb diet, will be for your health and will only aid in temporary weight loss, not permanent weight loss
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are doing low carb?
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Check out lowcarbdiets.about.com
  • Panman75
    Options
    any ideas on low carb foods that are higher in calories?

Full fat dairy, avocados, nuts, nut butters, bacon....
    You need to stay away from nuts in the beginning stages of low carb diets. My wife has the same problem hitting the caloric intake like you. Avocados is great if you feel the need to raise the calories and the fat with a good dose of fiber. Also Flaxmeal is great source to use as well. Most likely you need to increase your protein intake as well and that will boost your caloric intake. I personally stick with whole butter, but I eat plenty for me.....
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    don't eat low carb, 50% of your diet is supposed to be from carbs, it is where your body gets energy, also where you get all of your vitamins and nutrients. eat healthy carbs, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, 100% whole wheat... and what people don't know is for your body to take protein into the muscle you need carbs to do that, so please don't do a low carb diet, will be for your health and will only aid in temporary weight loss, not permanent weight loss

^^^This! Just eat good healthy food and move more. It's that simple! I know it sounds crazy, but I am serious!
  • eyecandyloveme
    Options
    meat has plenty of calories and protein and no carbs
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Just looked at your diary (don't know who else has) and never mind the type of diet right now, you are placing your health at risk. Its not a matter of whether or not you include carbs, you simply have to eat more. You are placing your body into starvation mode with what you're doing. I'm not sure of the purpose........plain and simple......EAT!
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Easy, eat more fat! Olive oil, coconut oil, SmartBalance buttery spread, avocados, almonds, peanuts, chicken thighs, etc
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

While i agree that you should probably eat a balanced diet, CHO is a non essential macro nutrient and you can do fine eating low carb. A blanket statement like 50% of your diet should come from CHO is silly as %'s and ratios should not be used, but instead shoot for a minimum amount of proteins and fats per day for your bodyweight and then spread out the rest of your cals as you please
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

We don't need carbs for energy. We can also efficiently get energy from FAT.

There is nothing unhealthy about a low carb plan and the last thing we truly need is grains. Wheat Belly is a good book to read!! A real eye opener.