Mostly Sedentary.. Help!!!

Options
I work at a bank and sit behind a desk everyday from 8am til 6pm.... I am soooo tired when I get home. It takes all I have to cook a healthy meal and after that i'm ready for shower then bed! :sad: Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas that will help me?

Replies

• mamatonine
    Options
    Maybe getting up early and starting with something easy like taking a walk? It will take time to get used to getting up early, but it will become a habit and it does give you more energy through out your day. Can you take a walk at lunch time too? I see a lot of our bank employees walking together at lunch, they have a club and support each other by bringing healthy lunches and walking together. That would be nice if you could do that. Keep at it, you can do it!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well (but do have the flexability to get up and move around when I want) and I find that getting up early and working out before work helps. I get up at 5:15am and workout then shower and get ready for work at the gym. I'm at work by 8am. That means when I get off at 5pm I can focus on my children and husband and eat a healthy meal.
  • claygone
    claygone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My job is mainly sedentary as well. I bike to work or work work out before or after work. It's not easy, i'll say that.
  • FinalOutrage
    Options
    Working out for 30-45 minutes in the morning Mon-Fri before work seems like the best deal. After calculating how long your morning prep and commute takes, then find out the best time for you. Also try to get up and walk around once every hour or two. Sitting down for nearly nine hours isn't good for the blood circulation in your legs.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I know it will be hard starting out, but try to get up alittle earlier and work in just 10 to 15 minutes of exercise to start. The more you incorporate the exercise into your days the more energy you will have.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I started off very unhealthy and sedentary 15 months ago. I've since changed my lifestyle, but I still spend an average of ten hours a day sitting at a computer, only taking very short breaks to get a drink or use the bathroom. I understand how difficult it can be - I remember my exhaustion when I first started, and how all I wanted to do was collapse on the sofa at every opportunity, but you need to find what makes you tick.

I started off doing Kinect games. I enjoyed those because I got to spend time in a room with my fiance, and work through something to a goal. 40 minutes a evening, as soon as I got home from work, and then the rest of the night was mine.

I tried exercise machines and I gave the gym a go, but neither were for me. Then, I decided to work on motivating myself a different way to do my exercise. Kinect games were great aid to the motivation that was already there, but I took on a walking challenge to raise money for charity and I then felt committed to doing a certain amount for the good of that charity.

Now, with life even busier I appreciate nothing more than getting out late at night when it's dark and quiet and the streets are empty. A walk with my headphones in, or a bike ride through silent streets, can really help me relax, unwind and clear my head. Now, after at least ten hours of office-based work, I look forward to the mental rest my exercise provides.

It's just a case of working out what will give you the drive to go for it - that relaxation, a charity you care about, spending time with someone you want to be with...