Excess Protein?

Options
I always come up well over the RDA of protein. Are there any concerns about this or anything? Some days aren't as bad as others, but I am pretty well ALWAYS have excess protein at the end of my day.

Thanks for any advice!

JM

Replies

• desutton3
    Options
    I do, too, but I'm not too worried about it. There are diets out there that include a lot more protein than I'm eating!

There are some things to be cautious about, but since I'm not a medical person, I won't go into them here. If you're way over the protein goal and you're concerned about it, then do talk to a doctor. Otherwise, just work out a little extra and pack on some muscle :bigsmile:
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    That's a problem I would like to have. I don't think it's possible to have too much protein.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I do bit the gym and abuse my muscles a bit, so it sounds like I'm not really hurting anything.

Thanks!

JM
  • George1567
    Options
    MFP does seem to be low on the Protein. I doubt you are getting too much. There are caculations to figure your ratio, 1 gram per pound of lean mass. But you have to know lean mss to figure. I look at the MFP numbers in two ways, minimums and maximums. Example: Carbs, fat, sodium, sugar i look to be under what is recomended. Fiber, protein, potassium I want to be at or above what they recomend.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well, your body can only process so much in one sitting. Depending on your body, around 30ish grams. And too much can wear out your kidneys (though, I'm not sure how much is too much, and maybe it's just not good long term). I've also heard that it is helpful when you are trying to loose weight because it does help with muscle repair. I think moderation is probably best. Get some extra, but balance it with some healthy carbs.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    That all sounds pretty good. It's not huge gobs at once. It's spaced out throughout the day. I'll just keep an eye on it, and as long as I'm working out & exercising I'm not going to be overly worried.

Thanks!

JM
  • Seemless
    Options
    I too find myself(according to MFP) about 10-15 over in protein daily. But I do workout out in the evenings