Lack of energy

Options
I'm on day 10 now. This is my second time on MFP and determined to stick it out this time.

But I just have zero energy. I have two children, 7yrs and 2yrs old. Along with looking after them, exercise and running the house (I'm a SAHM) I'm just totally wiped out in the evenings.

Any tips to up my energy? I don't drink anything with caffeine in so this isn't an option.

Replies

• TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing the exercise for and what type and how much? Normally after a couple of weeks of exercising you get more energy from it. You need to be doing more cardio / aerobic exercising I believe.

It may also be that you're simply not getting enough energy from your food to do all that you are doing or it may be that you're not sleeping well.

I know I suffer from a similar condition, but I dont exercise and I'm hoping that will "sort me". I also have trouble sleeping which doesnt help. I've got the Paul Mckenna "I can make you sleep" book which gives advice on how to get the most rest from your sleep.

I also dont use anything with caffeine.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm doing at least 30 mins of cardio a day.
    Some days a 40 min walk AND 30 mins of cardio (every second day).

I get as much sleep as possible, aim for 8 hours, but usually one of the kids will disrupt this and once I'm awake I'm awake.

The first few days I was bursting with energy but now I just think "ugh" when it's time to exercise. I'm disappointed in myself.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly, but are you eating enough?
  • crystalgoede
    Options
    Hello I don't drink that much caffeine either I like green tea and make sure you are drinking your 8 glasses of water plus. I also like to take an emergen-C I feel the extra vitamins give me a little more pep. Also B + D vitamins help me. Just a few suggestions keep it up because soon enough you'll be on a natural energy high with weight loss.:bigsmile:
  • LauraSmyth28
    Options
    Thanks for replies.

I'm pretty much bang on my 1200 cals every day. Maybe I should be eating little and often to keep up my energy levels though.

I think I definitely need some extra vitamins.....will get some b€rocc@ boost tomorrow.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You may need to think more about quality of your calories than quantity. I'm not sure what you're eating since your diary is private but if you're not getting much protein in with your meals, you may want to think about increasing. Like have eggs for breakfast instead of cereal and have some greek yogurt for a snack. Also, make sure you're getting complex carbs like 100% whole grain breads, whole grain cereal, beans/legumes and dark leafy vegetables (like spinach and kale).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for replies.

I'm pretty much bang on my 1200 cals every day. Maybe I should be eating little and often to keep up my energy levels though.

I think I definitely need some extra vitamins.....will get some b€rocc@ boost tomorrow.
    Do yourself a favor and set your weight loss goal to 1lb per week. This will provide you more energy to push it harder during workouts and through the day. Also, I am assuming you set your life as sedentary, but having kids generally makes it lightly active. And finally, drop some of the cardio and pick up weights. You really want to maintain muscle mass as it controls your metabolism.
  • LauraSmyth28
    Options
    I'm hitting my protein goal every day (and going above most days). Swapped all carbs for complex carbs, getting the best 'value' from my calorie allowance as possible.

My goal is set to 1lb loss a week already. Yeah I am set to sedentary, even with the kids.....I wouldn't describe my lifestyle as lightly active.

Will try some light weights. Would like to tone my arms a bit anyway.

Thanks so much for all replies xx
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies.

1200 calories may not be enough for you, what rate of fat loss were you aiming for? If you were aiming for 2lb+ per week, you might want to consider going for 1lb a week instead, you'll eat more calories and lose fat more slowly, but slow and steady wins the race with fat loss as your eating plan is more sustainable and you don't have problems with hunger, cravings, tiredness etc that can make it really hard to follow your plan. Trying to lose fat quickly isn't the aim, the aim is to lose fat permanently, so if that is the problem (I'm just guessing!) then that's the way to think about it.
  • You mentioned that you're eating 1200 calories a day, and that you do 30 mins of cardio or even double that some days. Are you eating your exercise calories back, or at least some of them?

It also helps to eat more frequently. I eat every three hours and I'm never hungry that way.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you're eating 1200 calories a day, and that you do 30 mins of cardio or even double that some days. Are you eating your exercise calories back, or at least some of them?

It also helps to eat more frequently. I eat every three hours and I'm never hungry that way.
    Yes, eat back your exercise calories or forget any lasting progress.

MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up.
    Why?
    Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories. Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be? In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more. Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.
    Be efficient. Exercise hard and eat back the calories.
    The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.
  • Dkittery
    Options
    You mentioned that you're eating 1200 calories a day, and that you do 30 mins of cardio or even double that some days. Are you eating your exercise calories back, or at least some of them?

Yes, eat back your exercise calories or forget any lasting progress.

MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up.
    Why?
    Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories. Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be? In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more. Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.
    Be efficient. Exercise hard and eat back the calories.
    The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.

This is huge and a must to keep your self healthy, also Vitamin B's may help as well. :) Vitamin D too.