What do you think about when you are running?

Options
I need running motivation. I hate running because its sooo boring (especially on the tredmill). But it burns fast calories so thats why i do it. Even when i have good running music, I find myself getting bored way too quickly.

What motivates you to run?

Replies

• jbartush
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks when I run on the tredmill, it helps the time go by.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I watch movies while I run on my tablet or ipod. That helps a lot for me.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    how I am going to look in a month :) Will I go shopping? where can I have my hubby take me?
    I take that time to learn to love me and my body at the same time :flowerforyou:
  • steveh08
    steveh08 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well since this was my first day to try and run since college, I didn't think about much. I mostly prayed please don't let me die, please don't let me die :-)
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Throw in some intervals! I cannot run on a treadmill for more than 20 minutes unless I do intervals. I will fall off the treadmill due to boredom. Also, intervals are a crazy good workout and give you awesome results. And, not boring. Try it!

Long runs I do outside. So I dodge traffic, keep the dog from eating people, listen to music (in one ear because I am paranoid about not being able to hear someone behind me), sing under my breath, daydream about tropical vacations, and mentally shop for bikinis.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I can't run on a treadmill, it is soooooo boring. I love running outside and right now I am using the B210K app with my own music. Before that I was using the C25K podcast. On sunny days, I sometimes forgo the music and just take in the sights and sounds of the day. You can let your mind wander and it can be quite enjoyable. I try to change up my music playlists often so as not to get bored. Another thing that is fun is to run with a buddy, the time just flies as you chitchat. Hope this helps.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I pretend something like this is chasing me:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6GLMRVW2ShS8LB9Gxy8ljDbun1s26QDRgvQu3LEfYLTSFyQSyMg

Shh! Nobody tell me they have a top speed of 45mph. :laugh:
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Run outside. Your wandering mind will keep you entertained as the sights around you are constantly changing.

I limit the treadmill to speedwork or else a 5km run feels like a 15km.

I usually listen to music on the treadmill but only sometimes outside.
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    trying not to pass out from lack of oxygen...
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Throw in some intervals! I cannot run on a treadmill for more than 20 minutes unless I do intervals. I will fall off the treadmill due to boredom. Also, intervals are a crazy good workout and give you awesome results. And, not boring. Try it!

Long runs I do outside. So I dodge traffic, keep the dog from eating people, listen to music (in one ear because I am paranoid about not being able to hear someone behind me), sing under my breath, daydream about tropical vacations, and mentally shop for bikinis.

I seconded the intervals. I usually will take an easy mile at ~11min pace and then start at a ~10 min pace for a couple of mins back down to an easy jog and then increase the pace while decreasing the time/distance. I usually work up to ~6min pace for 1 to 1.5 minutes and then go back down. Easy way to knock out a couple of miles.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been running for a min, then walking for a minute...so I tell myself I can do anything for a minute!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I only use my treadmill for intervals or if I am being a wuss and refusing to run in the snow. When I run outside I listen to audio books, when I run intervals I listen to the angriest music I can find. So I don't really think about anything, I just sort of let go. :)
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well since this was my first day to try and run since college, I didn't think about much. I mostly prayed please don't let me die, please don't let me die :-)

genuine LOL. That was just what I was thinking :)
  • gary8964
    Options
    Since I've recently started running (or at least trying to), I think mostly about form and technique. Otherwise I use the time to "Defrag" my mind, I.E. clear my mind .
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mentally race other people on the treadmills. I'll pick someone out and tell myself I can't stop running until they stop running, or I'll try to run faster than someone or keep the same pace as someone else. It brings out my competitve spirit and keeps the boredom at bay!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    When I first start, I say "It's time to kick *kitten*."

As I keep going, I focus on my music, trying to keep up with the beat (I designed a playlist that is 130+ beats to run to).

Then, if I start to lag, I think "C'mon, you can do it. Push it! Beat your time!) I check the clock on my Ipod and keep pushing it.

I also focus on landmarks and make myself go to them if I need to slow my pace.

Hope that helps! I'm a newbie runner.

Shannon
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Mentally race other people on the treadmills. I'll pick someone out and tell myself I can't stop running until they stop running, or I'll try to run faster than someone or keep the same pace as someone else. It brings out my competitve spirit and keeps the boredom at bay!

I would love to do this (well, when I'm in good enough shape to try it without keeling over, everyone at my gym is all fit and skinny!). But I'm too obvious, I just know they'd figure out what I was doing and give me the stink eye for it!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Since I've recently started running (or at least trying to), I think mostly about form and technique. Otherwise I use the time to "Defrag" my mind, I.E. clear my mind .

Ditto!
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My nerd is about to show...

I tend to visualize when I'm running on the treadmill, usually things related to the music I'm listening to. I have a lot of soundtrack music on my playlists, so I'll often try to recreate the scenes the music is from in my mind, or else create a montage of movie/tv scenes to go with the music--like creating a music video in my mind, lol. I find that works better that actually watching tv or a movie, because it engages your mind a lot more and actually takes you out of the space; you become less aware of the tedium of running, because your mind is so fully engaged elsewhere.

Today I tried something new that also really helped, and that was actually recreate the sheet music in my head for what I was listening to. Figuring out time signature, faking the key signature, and trying to get my mind to paint the notes onto my mental staff as the music progressed. It was tricky, but actually a lot of fun! Didn't get much more than the basics, especially as the music was orchestral, but it was neat for me. Not something non-music people would be able to manage, though.

And the geekiest of all...this usually only really works with a certain selection of songs on my iPod, which is why they're all on my running playlist. Similar to the person above who imagined being chased by a bear...I imagine the Doctor suddenly appearing, grabbing my head, and telling me to run. I've actually created a number of "routes" in my mind that I run through...never really sure what we're running from, but I always keep the TARDIS in the forefront of my mind's eye, and I don't let myself reach it until the end of the song. It's so silly, and I'm such a geek for doing it, but it WORKS! I've never felt so motivated before!

That's the only one I can use when running outside, too--I just convince my mind to conjure up a mirage of it in the distance and just run for it. I tend not to like running outside, because I can't engross myself in those sorts of mental exercises--I have to be watching for things like PEOPLE, and TRAFFIC, and OBSTACLES. Pfft. XD I hope to eventually enjoy running for the sake of running, but until I get to that point I'll stick to the treadmill and my imagination.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm weird, but I actually enjoy running. Come to think of it, I enjoy most of the things I do (at least for my workouts). Once I get in a good rhythm I can usually zone out and don't notice the time or the miles until I start to run out of gas or my exertion gets too high.